VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I mean there was no stutter or artifacts of any kind and really fluid motion.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe camera is defective ? It definitely looks worse than gopro footage in terms of cadence and quality (very mushy , bad compression, lots of aliasing, barely "HD")

Even "good brands" can have a bad day or make a bad model, or specific units can be defective
    Quote Quote  
  3. Still need to know: Do you like jagabo‘s sample better?

Maybe the shutterspeed is shorter on yi cams than on gopro hero 4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Maybe the shutterspeed is shorter on yi cams than on gopro hero 4.

A shorter shutter will lead to more "strobey" footage, and the aliasing will be intensified . Longer shutter will have more motion blur and smooth things out , also making it easier to compress . But he said there was no adjustment anyway
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, but the cams must use any setting in automatic mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. test.mp4 is stuttering big time on the pc. I have yet to try it on tv.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have to make sure we "create" a working player at your home. For this I must know the specs of your PC, if you got more, let me know and post the specs like cpu, graphics card, used monitor/tv and used connection, like HDMI, DP, DVI, VGA, used OS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here are some files from other action cams for comparison.

First is from a very cheap $50 Eken. 2nd one from SJ7 Star and last one from GoPro4.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. first one is 60.000fps, which should be 59.94 fps, the other two are fine 50 fps. In order to get a smooth playback I need to the the specs of the hardware you have, as already requested.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by akkers View Post
    test.mp4 is stuttering big time on the pc. I have yet to try it on tv.
    It should stutter more on a 50 Hz display, but very little on a 60 Hz display. The test was to be sure you weren't using a 60 Hz display.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am running Win7 R1 on I7-2600K @3.40GHz, 8Gb Memory, NIVIDIA GeForce GT 430 with Dell U2415 Monitor running at 59Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Dell monitor should also support other refresh rates, can you please check:
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/256-screen-refresh-rate-display-settings.html
    but just drop down where 59 Hz is visible, there could be 50Hz
    Try to set it to 50 Hz and play the sample files recorded on 01.01.2018.

Please report back
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by akkers View Post
    I am running Win7 R1 on I7-2600K @3.40GHz, 8Gb Memory, NIVIDIA GeForce GT 430 with Dell U2415 Monitor running at 59Hz.
    59 Hz is really 59.94 Hz. The 60 fps sample I uploaded should play more smoothly (only one tiny jerk every ~30 seconds) than the 50 fps samples. You have some kind of playback problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It only shows 59 and 60Hz, there are no other options available.

I am not having these issues playing GoPro 50p footage. Further, the real test is on a TV where the Yi 4K footage is stuttering too.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am now locked in a legal battle with the retailer.

When I first reported it to them they said it was a known issue and there was no repair route. Then they changed their mind and asked me to send the cam to them for repair. It came back saying the cam is not faulty. I have told them I am taking the legal route.

I really need to prove what I have been saying. I just know there is something wrong as the footage does not look good and is nowhere like footage from other users using this model at 50/60p.

How can I prove this? Is there any software that can give me that technical rundown? Or will I have to get it tested in a lab?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by akkers View Post
    I am now locked in a legal battle with the retailer.

When I first reported it to them they said it was a known issue and there was no repair route. Then they changed their mind and asked me to send the cam to them for repair. It came back saying the cam is not faulty. I have told them I am taking the legal route.

I really need to prove what I have been saying. I just know there is something wrong as the footage does not look good and is nowhere like footage from other users using this model at 50/60p.

How can I prove this? Is there any software that can give me that technical rundown? Or will I have to get it tested in a lab?

There is definitely a stutter problem. It's in both your Yi samples. It's not a massive stutter, but that up/down effect is not normal

[Attachment 44897 - Click to enlarge]

If there is another "stutter" issue, that you're referring to, it could easily be your playback setup.

But whether or not it's "faulty" or not is problematic to prove. They can claim this is how it's supposed to operate. This is not a massive stutter. That gif illustration is slowed down. 90% of people probably wouldn't even notice this in regular playback. You're probably not going to win this as a single user, unless you can clearly demonstrate that other users with the same model do not have this problem. Do you have footage from other cams of the same model? Native footage shot in controlled setting like a tripod?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I wouldn't call that stutter. But whatever you want to call it, how can you prove it wasn't caused by the handling rather than the camera?

Mount the camera on a solid base. Does the image still bounce up and down? While another camera mounted on that same base doesn't bounce?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, the 1st clip you can dismiss because of other issues, shaky handheld footage, aliasing, poor shutter issues - but put together it's a very strong association

The 2 clips are too strong of an association to disregard . I've seen this before with other cameras and drone footage, I suspect it's a faulty compression module issue. It's like an I-frame refresh issue, but the problem here is it doesn't always occur at a new IDR frame, whereas in other cases it does. Here it can occur on a P . So it's not clear cut that's the cause

But I'm 100% certain there is a problem here. There is an down/up/down issue on both clips. You can't reproduce that effect even if you wanted to on a normal camera. On the 1st clip, 9/10 times , the "up" is on an I frame refresh in the down/up/down sequence. At 50fps , that's 20ms per frame. You can't move 1-2 pixels in that timeframe. You can't do that unless you're a robot or superhuman. So I suspect it's related to compression module.
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Mar 2018 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote