VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I found this site randomly on google, and since I am relatively clueless on just about everything to do with digital video, I decided to join.

Please bear in mind that I'm 14. I've not done A level computing, but I consider myself fairly competent for my age - I was ready to take my ICT GCSE at 11, and would have done if my teacher hadn't had to leave. But anyway, I'm sure you don't care.

Ok. What I've been scouring the internet for for a while is an introductory comparison to the different video file formats. I know some of the main ones are wmv, mp4 (of which, I think I understand, there are many different denominations, DivX being one of them?) and avi, which is widely considered to be old and outdated, but still seems to be widely used.

Heres my predicament: I have an Xbox 360, an ipod video and of course, my laptop (and to a lesser extent, my Wii), all of which I use to watch videos. Mostly I will download something on my laptop, then stream it to my 360 and watch it on my TV. (I know you can use a VGA cable or something, but this is all wireless). Then I'll sometimes add a few to my ipod to take on the go. My laptop, of course, I can get to play every file format, my 360 works with wmv, mp4 and mp4 AVC, and my ipod will play mp4, mp4 AVC and mov. So, the reasonable choice seems to be mp4.
    However, I don't know the differences between these formats. I downloaded an avi video (the most popular format on things like limewire), and the quality was great (quality is the main issue for me; file size is really just an added bonus). However, when I tried to open it on my 360, it wouldn't play. So I scoured the web for a free avi converter, and couldn't find one. I downloaded the free trial to something called the EZ AVI to WMV Converter, and got it converted. It worked, played fine, but the video quality was pretty poor compared to what I had started out with. I didn't know if it was the format or the converter, but suspected it was the converter, since the wmv file was also half the size of the superior avi original.
    So, I tried converting it to mp4. Right now the program I use to convert videos (and a few other things, like downloading youtube videos - it doesn't convert into wmv, however, which is why I had to find the EZ program) is the DVDVideoSoft Free Studio, which is actually a collection of different converting programs - you just install the ones you want. It converted it fine, and though I haven't tried yet, it should work on my 360. However, again, the quality was lower. It wasn't as bad as the wmv version, but still quite noticeable. Again, I don't know if this is the converter doing a bad job or the file format; but whereas the original file was around 600mb and the rubbish wmv one 300, this new mp4 version was over a gigabyte in size for some reason, even though its quality was between the two (closer to the wmv version, in fact). I've no idea why this is.

So, in a nutshell, what I'd like is an explanation/comparison of those three formats - is there any difference in quality, mainly. If it's the converters I'm using that's causing this quality loss, what are some better ones? I'd much prefer something free, but if you know of something great that'll do the job well but costs a bit, I'd like to hear about that too. Thanks a lot.

Sorry this post's so long and rambling - it's 4am right now here, first day of Easter break, and I just wanted to try and get this sorted before I forget about it. Again, thanks a lot to whoever's taken the time to read this nonsensical plea of an ignorant teenager.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, I don't convert anything, so I can't help you directly, but this site has a glossary, conversion guides, and a tools list (accessible via the left margin of most if not all pages.) I think you can find at least some of the information you want there.

Also try searching the forums. Questions about converting from one format to another come up frequently. I have been seeing a lot of late regarding conversion to/from DivX.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

One word spelled wrong(that I can find) in the entire OP.
    14 years old?
    First post....and it involves downloaded AVI files and Limewire.

NEXT
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may be right, but still jumping to conclusions. He mentioned Limewire, but no mention of certain "groups" or incriminating screenshots or anything like that.. ((unlike in the guide below ; see if you can spot the telltale clue!))

Try this (cliffs notes: guide to xvid/divx playback on x360's)

[edit] Scanning again, it seems you're looking at converting multiple formats to X360 compatible format. Best advice I can give is to echo a previous post: search/browse the guides section from the (source format) -> (destination format of choice) - there's bound to be something there that will help.

[again] Upon checking the tools section here, it seems the software used in the link I gave handles far more formats than just divx/xvid, you just need a PC to stream the files from over to the console. This would probably be the least painful method of getting your stuff from point a -> point b.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    C'mon Hech, he may only be 14 but there are still schools in the UK that teach spelling, punctuation and grammar. Not everyone has degenerated into the lazy txt, web speak yet!

To the OP, there are literally hundreds of different formats. MP4 is a generic term not a format, avi is a wrapper for numerous different formats. DV is avi and can be broadcast standard, or at least SD DVD standard, but so are DivX and XVid. Think of avi as a tin but that tin can contain anything from paint to baked beans!

Super is a normally recommended as a reasonable format converter, but you need to know a bit about the format you are converting from and to. You have an awful lot to learn.......

Also note that downloading anything that is copyright, which includes just about everything you find on Limewire, is illegal in virtually every country in the world. Consequently, to protect the owner of this site from accusations of aiding and abetting unlawful acts, discussion of such matters is not allowed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Also note that downloading anything that is copyright, which includes just about everything you find on Limewire, is illegal in virtually every country in the world.
    No it's not. Uploading however probably is, but that's also debateable.

However, on this site we specifically don't debate that issue, so best just not to mention it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tversity.

And I changed your subject. Please use a subject that describes the main issue. You can edit the subject by clicking on the edit button on your first post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Thanks, all.

You don't believe I'm 14? Guess I should take that as a compliment. Though the reason there weren't many spelling mistakes is probably due to Flock's inbuilt spell checker.

Ok, I'll stay away from mentioning Limewire.

Thanks, I'll check those programs. All I really want is something that can easily convert between multiple formats, mainly including avi and mp4, without a loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nintyguy
    So, in a nutshell, what I'd like is an explanation/comparison of those three formats - is there any difference in quality, mainly. If it's the converters I'm using that's causing this quality loss, what are some better ones? I'd much prefer something free, but if you know of something great that'll do the job well but costs a bit, I'd like to hear about that too. Thanks a lot.
    Quality depends on a lot of factors, the original source quality, bitrate, encoder settings, type of codec - just to name a few. Just because it's an "MP4" means nothing. For example, if the bitrate was low, it will be crap quality.

The stuff you download from the internet is already highly compressed, and usually any conversion using a lossy codec will make the quality worse. The solution is to find the original source material (usually original DVD) and encode from there using new settings.

MP4, AVI are just containers, they can contain video streams encoded by different video codecs

Therefore, no single "converter" application will get what you want (i.e. conversion without quality loss). If you don't have access to the original source material, you are stuck with a lossy video. For no quality loss, you should demux the video & audio stream and put it in a new container. As I mentioned, no single application can do this, you have to change your application depending on different codecs and containers.

If you want more specific advice, you have to give more specific details. The xbox360 is very picky on what it can play. If you do a quick search, there are about 10 threads on xbox360 conversions in the last month. You should also read this: http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/05/09/spring-07-video-playback-faq.aspx

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd stay away from LimeWire also - much trouble to be had over there...
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try XviD4PSP - it's a free program available through this site. Don't let the name fool you, as it will convert pretty much any format into files that will play on your XBox 360 (or PS3 or standalone DivX player and on and on ...). The high quality (ie. Extreme) presets produce very good quality, and once you learn a little bit about the codecs involved, you can tweak them for even better quality (ie. 3-pass encodes). Lots of pre-configured filters to enhance your video as well (check out the software's web-site for tutorials and tips regarding this and other aspects of the program). Should do what you're looking for ... worked for me
    Quote Quote