I'm using a MacBook M1

Camera: phone" Moto G6
Codec: avc1

Software: YouTube Shorts, OpenShot and or DaVinci Resolve

So I started making videos with the Shorts app. One thing that I really like about it is the workflow. I film a clip. Watch it. Keep it or discard it. Film another clip etc. I always know what I have covered and what I have not so I don't leave anything out and don't repeat myself. I can also record several takes until my delivery is smooth and there is a good starting point and ending point. By the time that I'm done, there is virtually no editing required to get a very presentable product. Certainly, there are many things that can be done in post-processing that will improve the video but everything that I wanted to say is included and it is smooth and in order.

The problem: When I want to record a longer video I find that I have lots of bad takes, missing parts and duplicates, the pacing varies from clip to clip and I often have to start all over because I don't have that instant feedback that I get with the Shorts app.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Is there another video recording app that I can use? All of the ones that I have tried are very clunky with respect to quickly playing the last clip and not of them will concatenate automatically and finally, Even if I want to use another app to make a short they don't loop automatically so I can't see what the clip will look like on the Shorts Shelf

What do people do to address these issues?