VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Windows 7 I see v2.01 and v2.50 and some others.

Are DVD RW preformatted usually - or do you format initially if wanting AVCHD compliance?
    Windows keep destroying my discs, now over 20 or so.

Seems like having trouble handling AVCHD on a DVD writer.

Seem to work first time when no AVCHD are on them, but then start to take ages to move forward like even init and be ready.
    Windows acknowledge and show BD symbol on disc when it sees AVCHD in there - and it succeds.
    Trying to use a destroyed disc on a XP machine DVD it does not recognize it at all - read something about some drivers needed for that.

Is this to do with UDF formatting?
    Taking properties it just says UDF, not which version.

Evaluating Premiere Elements 15 I need to use discs since only removable format supported.
    Other editors like PowerDirector and Nero Video also burn AVCHD to usb or SD cards.

Thanks for any input on the matter....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Marsia Mariner
    Windows XP requires the UDF 2.6 driver released by Toshiba.
    For writing BDs, DVDs and CDs with the latest UDF file systems, please use ImgBurn.
    Windows itself has always sucked at recording optical discs, don't use it for that task.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marsia Mariner View Post
    Windows XP requires the UDF 2.6 driver released by Toshiba.
    For writing BDs, DVDs and CDs with the latest UDF file systems, please use ImgBurn.
    Windows itself has always sucked at recording optical discs, don't use it for that task.
    Thank you.
    I did find udfreader here on VH earlier, and I seem to be able to read a disc I knew worked the last time I played in standalone BD player.
    I wanted to check another 5 discs with a second dvd drive to see if rw discs actually was destroyed, and they seem to.

Don't know how formatting of DVD RW works, I tested to do UDF 2.5 full low level format on Windows 7 but have not seen any difference in how system handle discs.
    It is thdudf.sys v1.0.0.3 and seem to be the latest.

I've left disc formatted as they were originally written with other material, and they behave the same way and seem to work in blu-ray players if AVCHD succeed in Windows 7.

It's like it's intentional destroy by Windows 7 because it thinks illegal copying is being performed or something - just speculating.
    Just have a hunch since doing CD stuff, collecting single tracks from CDs I own resulted in strange noises and things on audio - but doing on XP computer with CD Burner it all goes well.

How can RW disc become unusable, and even not be formatted anymore - just suddenly?
    What was written on them worked the last time used in standalone BD players - really disturbing.

My current assumption is that windows 7 becomes confused by BD material on DVD, and tries to handle it like a BD drive - and try to recover that or something.
    But Windows never did anything like that with hdd sectors that were failing - to do actual recovering that destroy original sectors.

The NLE's I am testing are on Windows 7 - so not much choice on which platform to do the burning.
    I tried editors do burning, and tried to iso on hdd and use Windows Image Writer that also has verify thingy when burning.

Something on lower level seems to destroy media.

Don't know if you can do checkdisk on DVD RW?
    I will make a try and see.

ImgBurn on XP never stop reading almost, you can here disc init retries of some sort. But does not seem to like what it sees.
    Some disc produce some logged material but see nothing that guide me if disc can be used.
    Thought if I could delete discs on XP and let Windows 7 burn something else on it.
    Quote Quote