VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway. Just how large is this vob ? I thought you had already split at chapter level. The split vob could be uploaded here.

But all this would be un-necessary if you simply accepted, like 99.99% of forum readers, that a 720*480 dvd properly displays square 640*480.

Of vourse it is quite possible that you have not done the conversion correctly. Surely Vegas can export direct to H264 640*480 without any need to invole frame-serving and handbrake. But if you do insist then do check all the settings in handbrake as there are many which will be codec specific.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, 640x480 looks correct. The thing that was making it look wrong was that Anamorphic setting. I had to set that to none, and uncheck the keep aspect ratio.
    Once I did those two things, the encoded video looks correct. When I had Anamorphic on Automatic setting, it was showing a PAR of 9x8 in Handbrake even though the frame size was 640x480. That was the issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fine. No need for any samples then
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, I'm good to go now
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely Vegas can export direct to H264 640*480 without any need to invole frame-serving and handbrake.
    Yes, Vegas has a number of h264 options (AVC, AVCHD, XAVC are all h264). However, in my experience - especially if I'm starting with a DVD source - I get better results if I render the video in Vegas as a DVD-compliant MPEG2 video, and convert it to h264 using HandBrake (or VidCoder, which is just a different GUI using the HandBrake core). And I have seen comments in the Vegas community forum from other users who also share that opinion.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is that I'm already starting with MPEG2 that I took off the DVD itself.
    The reason I'm not going straight from the DVD to handbrake is because I have to make color and audio corrections to the original DVD video
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    Problem is that I'm already starting with MPEG2 that I took off the DVD itself.
    The reason I'm not going straight from the DVD to handbrake is because I have to make color and audio corrections to the original DVD video
    Oh, I know that. I was responding to the suggestion that you could use Vegas to create your h264 files.

I was saying that if I'm starting with a DVD source and going to h264, and I'm doing any editing in Vegas, I will keep the Project Properties in Vegas to match the DVD files, and then render it back to an MPEG2 video. That retains as much of the original quality as possible. Then I'll use HandBrake to convert it to h264 (And from what I gather, that is exactly what you're doing). In my experience at least, HandBrake produces a better looking h264 result than if I try to render it as h264 directly in Vegas.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes sometimes Vegas exports without rendering (only fixing new GOP if broken while editing) , setting MainConcept mpeg2, same parameters and setting CBR and maximum bitrate (what mediainfo reports), it not always work, in op case, sample might be too short, lacking original GOP, I tested it and it did not work. Video seems to be truly interlaced, lower field first.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you frame serve to handbrake from the Vegas timeline, then the final product, re-encoded to MP4 from MPEG2 looks pretty good.
    Quote Quote