VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the Ematic Digital TV Recorder. If you record to a USB memory stick that is fat 32, the video file will be automatically split at 4GB (see screenshot). Both files will play on a computer with VLC. I tried using Video Redo to join the 2 files together, but there was a short interval (maybe half second) that was deleted at the join point. However, when playing back the video from the USB on the Ematic recorder, the join point was absolutely seamless and not noticeable. My question is: what kind of method is used on the digital recorder to split/join the files in such a perfect way? Why can't Video Redo join the files seamlessly? (If I use the computer to change the USB memory stick to NTFS, then the video file does not split at all. However, there was some talk that NTFS was harder on USB memory sticks. The recording quality seemed to be the same whether the specific USB was fat 32 or NTFS).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	35060  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try join / copy from the command prompt
    Code:
    copy /b file1.mts + file2.mts newfile.mts
    Or try join with tsmuxer, add file and then join. Output a new ts/m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Why can't Video Redo join the files seamlessly?
    From VideoReDo's Enhnced Features page in the Help files:
    The VideoReDo joiner performs it's work during the output phase, each file to be joined is separately opened and analyzed. Part of this analysis is searching for the first I-Frame (GOP start) in the file. So, if a file being joined does not begin on GOP boundary the frames prior to the start of that GOP are ignored.
    MPEG-2 recordings derived from ATSC transport streams are composed of GOPs made up of I-frames with B, and P frames sandwiched in between them. A GOP starts with an I frame and ends at the next I frame. Only I-frames contain complete picture information. The other two types of frames rely on preceding frames in the GOP, especially the I-frame preceding them, for part of their picture information.

VideoRedo doesn't know that the files you are trying to join are related, so if the first frame in a file is not an I-frame, VideoReDo doesn't have all the picture information it needs to re-encode any of the frames contained in the incomplete GOP at the beginning of the file, and discards them. This causes the losses that you see.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jan 2016 at 19:10. Reason: Left out "sandwiched in between them"
    Quote Quote  
  4. +1 for the command line join option. My recorder splits files at 4GB regardless of the file system on the USB stick and this is the only completely reliable way I have found to rejooin them.

Also, my device creates and index/control file for each recording which it can use when playing the file back. It will be preloading data from the recorded file into a playback buffer so when it gets to the split section it can select the necessary data from the end/beginning of each file so that there is not gap on playback.
    Quote Quote