VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    largest capacity available
    The LaCie Bigger Disk, with the largest hard drive capacity available, is a unique innovation that packs an amazing 1 terabyte of storage space in a manageable 5.25" form factor. With this unsurpassed storage capacity, the LaCie Bigger Disk allows users to store nearly two years of continuous music and up to one month of non-stop MPEG-2 video1. Truly plug and play, this device requires no driver or software installation for Windows XP and Mac OS X users.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10118
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  2. amazing that hard drives have reached that size, but I'd never keep that much info on just one drive. I've had too many crash to fall for that again and lose everything. I'd rather spread it out over some 120's or 200's at the most.

Can you imagine having to wait for that thing to defragment???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only one month of non-stop video. I need more. I agree, the defrag and the formating would take forever. Of course, the market is out there. Imagine what a selling point that would be for a TIVO box. Kind of shows where the video media is going. If only we could get super high speed internet connections to be able to download video fast enough to fill up this kind of drive. Fiber optics to every home. Maybe next year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Price is right. I want one! 8)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you figure 5 gigs per DVD quality movie, that's 200 movies, and if you figure <2 hours per movie, thats less than 400 hours, and if you figure there are 168 hours in a week, that's a little more than 2 and 1/3 weeks of "non-stop video".

Must be using SVCDs.

I don't think I want to lose that much data at once, either..

Be a bitch to backup to DVD, though, wouldn't it? 200 disks +?

And it's 5 1/4 form factor, goes into a CD bay, 1 fewer optical devices.

And we'd need several burners to back it up in any reasonable amount of time.

I'll betcha it comes out at more than 5 200s would cost.

And can you imagine the random access seek times?

I'll pass.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Taken from BJ_M's link.

$1,199.00
    1 TB*

Item Number : 300875
    Interface : FireWire 800, FireWire 400 and Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    Rotational Speed (rpm) : 7200
    Interface Transfer Rate : FireWire 800: 800 Mbits/s (100MB/s)
    FireWire 400: 400 Mbits/s (50MB/s)
    USB 2.0: 480Mbits/s (60MB/s)
    Max sustained transfer rate : FireWire 800: up to 55MB/s
    FireWire 400: up to 35MB/s
    USB 2.0: up to 34MB/s**
    Average seek time (write) : 10 ms
    Buffer : 8 MB
    Size : 6.3 x 3.4 x 10.6 in. / 173 x 88 268 mm (LxWxH)
    Weight : 11.02 lbs. / 5000g
    System Requirements : FireWire 800 (9-pin)-equipped computer: Mac OS 10.2.4 and greater; Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    computer equipped with FireWire 400 (6-pin) or iLink (4-pin): Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS 10.x; Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows Me and Windows XP
    USB 2.0-equipped computer: Mac OS 10.2.x and greater, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    USB 1.1-equipped computer: Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS 10.x, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Intel Pentium II 350MHz-compatible or Apple G3 processor and greater
    minimum 64MB RAM
    Box Contents : LaCie Storage Utilities CD-ROM, FireWire 800 to FireWire 800 (9-to-9 pin) cable, FireWire 400 to FireWire 400 (6-to-6 pin) cable, iLink/DV 6-to-4 pin cable, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable (USB 1.1 compatible), Drive stand for upright desktop use, External power supply
    Comments : * 1 terabyte = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Once formatted, the actual available storage capacity varies depending on operating environment.
    ** Depends on the computer configuration.
    *** Apple G4 processor required for use with FireWire 800

So, yes George, you are right. It does cost more than 5 200GB hard drives.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Rick,

And it's external, big, like an old SCSI drive I have, and heavy.

Being external makes it a better deal, when the price comes down, and it will, bye 'm bye.

And, it's one trillion bytes, not 1024 X 1024>>> etc.. Damn them and their marketing hype.

Still, think I'll stick to maybe the 250s when they drop a little mote.

Almost did buy one a couple weeks ago, like 170 bucks, after rebate, and with a combination SATA/ATA133 card. Be kickin' myself sometime down the road when I run out of room on this machine, only got 460 gigs total.

Rebate was way too much for me at the time, like 120 bucks.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  8. thats amazing.

but its a little too mucj space, for me at least.

i'd rather have a 200gb and backup to media when needed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by redwudz
    If only we could get super high speed internet connections to be able to download video fast enough to fill up this kind of drive. Fiber optics to every home. Maybe next year.
    Where i live that might just happen *Crosses fingers*
    Though i am highly sceptical, but i can wish can't i?

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/11/18/083344.php
    Salt Lake City and other Utah cities are looking to build the largest ultrahigh-speed digital network in the country. Excellent.
    "The network is expected to be available to 723,000 residents in 248,000 households and 34,500 businesses. Prices would vary considerably depending on the service, though basic high-speed Internet access is expected to cost about $28 a month."

I would bet that the basic speed would be at least t1 speeds.
    Quote Quote