VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I attempted to burn a file with DVDFab software, but it appears that the software did not recognize the burner device. A window told me that “The directory name is invalid.” So, I checked This PC, and where the DVD RW E Drive should be, there is an F, and where the DVD RW F Drive should be, there is a G.

How do I return the drives to E & F?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't say which OS you have.]
    I can only tell you from Windows 7 & older.

Go to Administrator Tools/Computer Managememt/Storage/Disk Management
    Scroll down to your CD ROM drives.
    Right click on the Left box
    You should see Change drive letter and paths.
    Click it & change the drive letters back to where they were.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well Drive letters are normally issued sequentially so there must have been at some time a 'Drive E'. And if there is in existance a 'Drive E' then that would also have to be renamed.

I can only write about Win7 and it is achieved like this:

From Control Panel you select Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

You now see two windows with all HDD's in the higher one and all drives in the lower. Scroll down the lower and you see the CD/DVD ROMs. A right-click on the Drive name gives you an option to change the Drive Letter.

But if these DVD drives are external, Drive Letters are allocated on-the-fly so even renaming Drive E to Drive H could well mean that F and G then become I and J.

But surely you can change settings in DVDFab to read/write to the correct letters ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was able to change the drive letters, but when I went back to This PC to open the drives, it told me to please insert a disc.
    It is not recognizing something.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  5. reboot & try it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It did not work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We appear to be missing some info here. Maybe obvious but to avoid misunderstanding.

1. Does the drive you click on to open already have a disk inside ?
    2. What happens if you try another blank disk ?
    3. What happens if you try an already burnt or commercial disk ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am using DVDFab. I am attempting to copy a disc, but it appears that the drive (E or F) does not recognize anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We know you are using DVDFab. But if you do not want to answer some simple questions how can we assist ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Before I answer the questions, my apologies, I am attempting to copy a disc, not burn it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But do read again what you originally wrote. The impression given was to do a direct copy/burn from one drive to another.

So 'copy' really means rip (to HDD ?) and all I am trying to establish is if it is the program that is at fault or your system (or even both)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you actually missing the burner drive all together or is it not being recognized?It shouldn't matter if it moved to another letter.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote