VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the official versions of DVDFab & TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7, as well as Handbrake on my Windows 10 PC. I want to convert videos to either X264 or X265, & am wondering which of these programs others think is the easiest & best quality to use?

I've seen tips on the net on how to get optimum settings for Handbrake, but none for the other two programs? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Best quality = ffmpeg
    easiest = handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    I have the official versions of DVDFab & TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7, as well as Handbrake on my Windows 10 PC. I want to convert videos to either X264 or X265, & am wondering which of these programs others think is the easiest & best quality to use?

I've seen tips on the net on how to get optimum settings for Handbrake, but none for the other two programs? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    X265 is way better quality than X264; Handbrake is just a front end for other tools, and TVMW7 is an NLE that allows you to export to x264 and x265, among others.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    X265 is way better quality than X264
    Says who? There's no denying the file size efficiency gains of x265, but it is only apparent at 1080p and above and comes at the cost of increased encoding time. Depending on the source x264 can have better quality, e.g. grainy animation. They can both be equal quality if you throw enough bits at the problem.
    Quote Quote