VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone please help with this annoying error. I am running Nero version 5.5.10.35 and it keeps giving the error:

"Could not perform Fixation"

I have tried various types of blank disks (Maxtor, hp ...etc), and I seem to be getting it with all of them. Sometimes it works sometimes it makes a coaster. I can find no ryhme or reason. It will burn an .iso image fine every time, but if I am making a data cd to back up some work it keeps giving this error.

It happens at the beginning of the burn and I have no other burning software installed and I have nothing else running in the back ground. I even run adware daily so no cookies or spyware...

I've even tried deleting directories (thought maybe something in a directory may be running in the backgroud). Finally I just tried to burn 2 jpg files and got the same error.

Also, can someone please recommend another cd burning program if I don't get this figured out soon I'll have to boot Nero off my machine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rhuala
    ---system---
    Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1
    AMD 1700+, 512MB RAM
    MSI Geforce 4 Ti4400, Latest detonator drivers
    Creative Soundblaster Live
    MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard, Latest 4-in-1 drivers
    Maxtor 80GB, 7200rpm, ATA66 Hard Drive
    Sony DRU500A DVD Burner
    Quote Quote  
  2. bump, dam it it's even doing it with version 6... helllp...
    Quote Quote  
  3. not to sound rude, but have you searched google?

I just entered Could not perform Fixation nero into google, and got tons of replies - too many possible fixes to list here and many variables. So it's probably best to scan thru the results and see what applies to you.

good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ya ive searched google but if you open the replys most have no answer or others have obvious suggestions that don't work like "make sure nothing is running in the background". The other thing is that I see how many hits are in google and yet Nero doesn't address this issue on any of their FAQ pages....

It's strange because I can burn a DVD or burn and iso image, just not data files?

Wish I could trick it somehow. Windows burning also gives an error that it can't write files (Dragging files to Drive letter than burning thru Win XP)

I guess I may just be SOL, seems silly that I may have to buy another stand alone cd-burner just to back up my data

rhuala
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be on the safe side, I almost always create an image first, having experienced all kinds of wierd problems thru the ages when it comes to burning. Burning an image is the simplest task for the software - make it easy for the poor thing!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Good idea for a work around /Mats ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One of the reasons, disk too full. Don't want to scare you but I used to see it few times on my first Yamaha long time ago. First sign of laser pickup going bust (especially when random, for no reason).
    Call tech support tomorrow, they would know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To add. Often a reason for it is the drive unable to selfcalibrate to the track to write either lead-in or lead-out (laser going back and forth unable to lock-in the track on the disc). Bad sign. Enable error logging in Nero.
    Drive resets itself before writing leads normally. This is typical for beeing unable to reset/dump memory for last operation was unsuccesful (memory dump) therefore leads cannot be written. Drive internals "hang".
    Quote Quote  
  9. You're gonna LOVE THIS!!! I found 'the fix' ... and it's surprisingly simple. I kept getting 'fixation errors' intermittently. Changed drive layouts, uninstalled software, reinstalled, etc..
    Still, I would get these errors intermittently. And sometimes, one right after another.

You will not believe this. But, next time you get a fixation error, check which FOLDER in Windows Explorer is highlighted. Guaranteed ... it's the FOLDER you're burning to CD or DVD. For whatever reason, Nero (in my case) will NOT complete the cd/dvd if the source folder is being accessed by Windows Explorer.

I happened to notice this 'goofy' event and 'suspected' it may be the problem to fixation errors. Sure enough, I would delete something else and the file I was about to burn was suddenly highlighted in Windows Explorer. EVERY TIME that FOLDER was highlighted, I would get a fixation error. EVERY TIME I highlighted a DIFFERENT
    FOLDER, the disk would burn perfectly.

Again, I know this sounds TOO simple to be the problem. Remember, next time you get a fixation error, before doing anything else, check Windows Explorer and see what FOLDER is highlighted. I would guess the same would be true for those who use "My Computer" rather than Windows Explorer.

After you've discovered I'm right, please pass on the information to others who are having the same problem. I have a few hundred wasted cd's from 'rediculous' issues such as this. Hate to see anyone else have continued headaches.

Enjoy ...

FS
    Quote Quote  
  10. What a load of rubbish, as if the folder being hi-lighted would make a difference, But then again as in a lot of things I am wrong again. Works perfectly, no idea why, yo am genius Bro.
    Quote Quote