VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive noticed that everywhere I read, that DVD-RWs (the discs) are suppose to last up to 1000 times of erasing and re-recording, is this accurate? Ive had my dvd recorder since about November, and I use it constantly...I record and watch later almost everything, even if I am home when its on ( I hate commercials) and im sure Ive erased and re-recorded the poor disc probably much more than 1000 times by now. And another question...how will I know when it goes? Will I get home one day and discover that none of what I recored is there, or what? Im starting to get nervous I might miss an episode of 24...they never repeat them!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    more likely it won't erase properly anymore. it may start to have more errors than a normal disc, but if you have video on the disc it won't "go bad"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to post this same queston. Except my dvd recorder uses dvd+rw disk. I purchased the RCA DRC800N for Christmas, and I have recorded with both the dvd+r and the dvd+rw disk. I have recorded on the two dvd+r disk that I have opened just a few times and now they wont record. At about $5 a pop I sure hope that they record more times than that.

Thanks

Ricky
    Quote Quote  
  5. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Philip,
    I am not having any troubles with the dve+r disk, but the two +rw's that I have been using will start recording and then the record light just gois off. I don't recall if there is a error message or not. I will check that.
    I have been eraseing the disk after each use. Can +rw be finalised?

Ricky
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can +rw be finalised?
    Finalization is not required on +RW.

If you've made edits on the +RW disc you can make the 'edits compatible'.
    The disc will then play in other dvd players skipping over your edits. If you don't make edits then the disc should play as is.

Andy S.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The other consideration, if you are finding the problem with different and new +RW discs is your recorder is faulty. This wouldn't be the first one or the last.
    PhilipL ... we know you're not a big fan of +RW, but do you have to constantly remind us?

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    unlike you and me may not be aware of their poor reputation.
    What 'poor reputation' are you refering to?

At least I made you laugh!

Cheers,

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have just formatted and successfully burned to a no-name DVD-RW.
    This DVD-RW disc is from 2006 and contained ~4 GB of old data. That makes the disc 7 years old.

So these b*stards really do last. Quite surprised.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Great. Another one post wonder who grave robbed an old thread to add information he thinks we've been waiting 9 years to hear.

I've seen RW discs go bad after ONE write. Others here have reported the same. And I've seen some RW discs that have been used for years and are still good and others here have reported that too. RW discs vary - some last a long time and others don't last very long at all. The only other thing worth noting is that the ONLY DVD+/-RW discs worth buying are those made by Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden doesn't make them at all and all the other manufacturers produce an inferior product.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yeah, I have several Memorex RW discs I got for a birthday present last July and they probably each lasted 10-15 writes each before they started to have problems. I need to get some of those Verbatim 8x DVD+RWs once these totally crap out, although I'm not sure you can buy them in packs or if the 8x ones only come as singles.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You must keep your laser clean too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. jman98: Great. Another one post wonder who grave robbed an old thread to add information he thinks we've been waiting 9 years to hear.

I've seen RW discs go bad after ONE write. Others here have reported the same. And I've seen some RW discs that have been used for years and are still good and others here have reported that too. RW discs vary - some last a long time and others don't last very long at all. The only other thing worth noting is that the ONLY DVD+/-RW discs worth buying are those made by Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden doesn't make them at all and all the other manufacturers produce an inferior product.
    So, you gripe about grave robbing and then participate?

Please stay on your meds!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    jman98: Great. Another one post wonder who grave robbed an old thread to add information he thinks we've been waiting 9 years to hear.

Uh, hows your post connected to that thread at all?
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post

Once it's robbed it becomes a current thread, so further posts are not grave robbing.

Wasn't talking to you anyway, but it's nice to know that I am living rent free in your head.
    Quote Quote  
  19. jman98: Wasn't talking to you anyway, but it's nice to know that I am living rent free in your head.
    Come on in! I won't notice the microscopic space you'd occupy and there'll be a chance for you to observe non-misanthropic behavior! It's a win-win!!
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 10th Apr 2013 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote