VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello to all!

I am making a 3d documentary. Everytihng was fine until the client told me that they need it on Full res Blu-ray.

My footage was in 25p so I made it to 23.976p. Then I've paired the left and right channel in Vegas and burned it to a BD-RE disc for the tests on 2x speed.

The result was very strange - the image was 3d but very laggy and slow.

But the biggest problem is that without glasses I can see that the right channel have some strange flickering/strobing and therefore the 3d is not so cool. This is tested on Panasonic DMP-BDT100 player and Panasonic LCD projector PT-AT6000E.

Then I've decided to test it on the computer with a LG 3d monitor and the the problem with the right channel was gone but the problem with the laggy image was still here, so I assume this is from the BD-RE disc.

I will be very glad if someone with more experience in 3d blu ray authoring can help to understand where these problems come from.

Thank you very much and have a good day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I've made the 3d settings of the projector to native. The lag dissapears and the image is now smooth. But the 3d is gone. This is very strange to me. What the heck have the projector with the playback?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Set it to game mode which tunes down image processing which should reduce lag
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well I have absolutely no idea what is game mode and from where to set it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How did you make your 25p to 23.976? I'm guessing something may have messed up there somewhere.

If you shot 25p, I would strongly suggest that you do one of 2 things:
    1. Separate your streams before editing, process them in AVISynth/Vdub to use 23.976 timebase (thus SLOWING them down!), saving as a lossless intermediate format, then edit using the separate 23.976 DI files as the source, in a 23.976 timeline.

or

2. Modify the parameters of the original source files (via Hex editor, Riff editor, tag editor, etc) such that it looks for all purposes to be 23.976. This will ALSO slow them down the same ~4% as above.

In either case, you would have to do a corresponding adjustment to the audio to maintain synchronization throughout.

Assuming you used good quality BD-REs, that should NOT be a problem, so don't get caught following the wrong culprit.

Can't tell by your narrative, but I'll have to assume you have things set up correctly (3DBD player -> HDMI 1.4a -> Projector -> IR xmitter -> 3D glasses). If standard 3DBD playback of store-bought 3DBD discs normally works PERFECTLY on your setup, you probably DO have things set correctly. If there have been problems before, well, then I'd say you don't have everything right to begin with.

You should be using a stereo3D 1080p/23.976 template in Vegas and then burning direct-to-3DBD disc image. Otherwise, what you are creating wouldn't be a true/legit 3DBD (and then, it could be that your projector is fudging by doing a realtime 2D->3D conversion).

Scott
    Quote Quote