VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have recently purchased a used xha1 the camera seems to be fully functional it records and plays back just fine, although for the life of me I cant get it to connect to my older mac mini running yosemite 10.10.5. I have an older sony high 8 dv cam that connects and sends dv signal no problem to the mac mini. I'm wondering if I'm getting something wrong on the xha1 DV out settings? Or maybe the cameras dv feature is broken? I'm kinda lost and any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. When I go try and download the driver the canon page tells me there is no driver for yosemite 10.10
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try contacting their support
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried calling yesterday when you tell them the product name they say that they no longer have phone support for that camera since it’s discontinued.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dv/hdv doesn't require a camera specific driver. it's all included in the os as they all use the same signals over firewire.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. That’s my whole issue it’s not connecting to a os that’s claims it doesn’t need a driver but the camera won’t connect I’ve tried iMovie, QuickTime and the computer refuses to see the canon. As mention earlier I have a Sony dv cam that connects just fine. So I’m wondering if there are any xha1 owners who can specifically help me out because I’ve done all the general ideas here nothing is working.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fresh jes View Post
    That’s my whole issue it’s not connecting to a os that’s claims it doesn’t need a driver but the camera won’t connect I’ve tried iMovie, QuickTime and the computer refuses to see the canon. As mention earlier I have a Sony dv cam that connects just fine. So I’m wondering if there are any xha1 owners who can specifically help me out because I’ve done all the general ideas here nothing is working.
    here's the manual for your camera - https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1042325/?page=109
    page 109 details on how to connect to a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Already have it pretty darn sure I have the dv settings correct from what the manual says but like I said still nothing. Seems a bit vague they only have about a half a page on the dv in function. Also I’m just trying to figure out if the camera is actually broken possibly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Make sure your camera is properly set for DV or HDV before plugging in. Avoid hot-plugging. Systems can also be finicky about whether the computer or camera are powered up first.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Already have it pretty darn sure I have the dv settings correct from what the manual says but like I said still nothing. Seems a bit vague they only have about a half a page on the dv in function. Also I’m just trying to figure out if the camera is actually broken possibly.
    does the camera have an internal button cell battery ??
    if yes, then you might try removing all the batteries and let the camera reset to
    factory default settings and then retry connecting to your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok cool thanks guys I’m really appreciating all the help, going to give it the old college try and I’ll report back ASAP
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's usually best to go:
    Connect devices while both turned off.
    Turn on computer. Login.
    Turn on peripheral.

That way, it sees the initialization.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok did everything here suggested except looking for the battery. I adjusted the settings per manual for hdv dv then turned off camera. Plugged camera in with computer off then turned computer on waited untill full start up and then turned camera on and still no connection
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok did everything here suggested except looking for the battery. I adjusted the settings per manual for hdv dv then turned off camera. Plugged camera in with computer off then turned computer on waited untill full start up and then turned camera on and still no connection
    does the mac have the option to search & add new hardware like windows does ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    either the camera's firewire port is dead or the cable is. if the cable works with other cams and your computer, you then know what the issue is.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    either the camera's firewire port is dead or the cable is. if the cable works with other cams and your computer, you then know what the issue is.
    yeah cable works perfect with the sony cam no problems, I think the firewire port is dead. Thanks for everyones help on this.
    Quote Quote