VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,
    Bit of an odd one here. What I have is a very beat up old laptop - it’s previous owner dropped it down the stairs. For a couple of years, I used it as a back room pc with monitor just for typing. Now however, I want to give it to my mum-in-law, connecting it to her TV to pass on my recordings from off air (the one useful thing this laptop has is HDMI). However, the screen ratios... it has always crashed if I ask it to work as a two screen set-up and, being a laptop (and even though I physically removed the screen) it assumes that I cannot possibly want the in-built screen not to have those ratios. I have tried and other forums have tried and failed to help as there is no workable Windows 10 driver. Dammit! But I want it to be this PC as it is absolutely silent - I’ve tried others but the noise of fans doesn’t work well with her hearing aid. So it’s this old thing come what may.

So what I am after is the next best thing. 95%+ of the recordings I am passing on are standard widescreen TV recordings. Therefore (as mum in law is NOT a technical person) I just want the videos to open full screen and ignoring all ratios that would normally be right, have the video stretch to use all available screen size. This would fix my problem.

I usually use MPC-HC - but honestly I couldn’t care less which player I use - not like I’ll be the main user.

Thanks

MadOne
    Quote Quote  
  2. mpc-hc Options > Fullscreen > Launch in Fullscreen.
    or
    Help > command line switches > /Fullscreen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - but not what I want. That fullscreens the image in a distorted way because it is the wrong screen driver. Want I want to know is how to override the ratio so the full screen genuinely stretches to the edges of the screen. Or at least puts in 5:4 perspective which is close enough. I can do this manually for each video but don’t want mum in law to have to. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What Laptop is it? Exact number and what exact CPU/GPU/APU is built in?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Advent Roma 3000
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation- WDDM 1.1)
    Windows 10 x64
    Quote Quote  
  6. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Advent-Roma-3000.23647.0.html
    So do you have these?
    GPU:
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    CPU:
    Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300
    2 x 2.1 GHz
    Quote Quote  
  7. I had already an very old Notebook with an Intel CPU with a strange integrated GPU from a friend to do a fresh installation (upgrade) of Windows 10, really low end, I even couldn't find GPU drivers on my own, which I normally do manually, but in this case I had to try the following and it found a working one:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028443/windows-10-update-drivers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by MadOne View Post
    That fullscreens the image in a distorted way because it is the wrong screen driver. Want I want to know is how to override the ratio so the full screen genuinely stretches to the edges of the screen. Or at least puts in 5:4 perspective which is close enough.
    It's not exactly clear what you want. That laptop has a ~16:9 display. You want 4:3 videos to be stretched (distorted) to 16:9? Right click on the video and select Video Frame -> Aspect Ratio -> 16:9. If you want 4:3 video to be zoomed (cropped top and bottom) leave Aspect Ratio set to Default and select Video Frame -> Touch Window Four Outside. The player remembers those settings so you don't have to change them every time you play a video.
    Quote Quote