VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to rip some old TV shows (mostly old Doctor Who's where the bulk of the episodes were recorded on videotape) from DVD onto my computer. But regardless of the framerate I pick (the software auto-detects it at 25fps) when I view the actual DVD and the ripped file side-by-side, the motion is always noticeably less smooth in the rip. Particularly with scrolling titles, they're smooth as butter on the dvd but choppy in the ripped file. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We would need to see a sample of your 'rip' (use avidemux with 'copy' for audio and video to mark in a section) and upload here as an attachment.
    Quote Quote  
  3. We don't really need a sample. Those Doctor Who episodes where shot as interlaced PAL video. You can either encode 25 fps interlaced or 50 fps with a double frame rate deinterlacer like Yadif or QTGMC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Maybe not. But it could help and also know what process(es) have been done from dvd to what he looks at now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    We don't really need a sample. Those Doctor Who episodes where shot as interlaced PAL video. You can either encode 25 fps interlaced or 50 fps with a double frame rate deinterlacer like Yadif or QTGMC.
    Would the latter not then apply the effect to the entire episode, even the scenes shot on film? Call me dumb but I don't get how the video looks fine when watching on a DVD player but the fluidity of motion gets stripped away as soon as it's ripped into any format
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by crgc View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    We don't really need a sample. Those Doctor Who episodes where shot as interlaced PAL video. You can either encode 25 fps interlaced or 50 fps with a double frame rate deinterlacer like Yadif or QTGMC.
    Would the latter not then apply the effect to the entire episode, even the scenes shot on film? Call me dumb but I don't get how the video looks fine when watching on a DVD player but the fluidity of motion gets stripped away as soon as it's ripped into any format
    Even if some scenes were shot on film, doubling the frame rate to 50p will be just as smooth as watching the DVD on a DVD player. That's essentially what the player/TV will do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Even if some scenes were shot on film, doubling the frame rate to 50p will be just as smooth as watching the DVD on a DVD player. That's essentially what the player/TV will do.
    But on the DVD you can clearly distinguish between film and video based on how smooth the video looks. I still don't get how the effect works on a DVD player but not when the video file is ripped
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crgc View Post
    But on the DVD you can clearly distinguish between film and video based on how smooth the video looks. I still don't get how the effect works on a DVD player but not when the video file is ripped
    Why don't you upload a sample from the DVD where there is a transition from film to video tape - hopefully something
    with some steady motion in it
    Is this one of the episodes from Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Why don't you upload a sample from the DVD where there is a transition from film to video tape - hopefully something
    with some steady motion in it
    Is this one of the episodes from Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker?
    I don't really know how because as soon as I rip it or even play the DVD on a computer as opposed to a dvd player on a TV the smooth motion is gone. And you can't really tell what's 'wrong' with the ripped file unless you play it side-by-side with the DVD. Which isn't something I can really replicate here
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just upload something from the DVD that's suitable. I assume you've successfully copied the video_ts folder
    to the computer.
    Use DGindex, find the spot you want, use the [ and ] to mark it,
    file / save project and demux video.
    Upload the m2v.
    You could also upload a section from your encode showing the problem with fluidity.
    Sometimes, thinking ahead about what we think may have gone wrong, turns out to be the wrong assumption.
    Best to take a look
    Quote Quote  
  11. It sounds to me like you might not be just 'ripping' but ripping and reencoding or ripping and converting.

First, decrypt the DVD to your hard drive using something like DVD Decrypter. Next, open a VOB file in DGIndex and scroll to a place meeting the requirements. Use the [ and ] buttons to isolate 10 seconds or so. Then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Among other things, you'll get an M2V you can upload here.

Edit: Too late
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post

Edit: Too late
    Not at all. I didn't mention anything about whether the disk was properly decrypted, just
    assumed it was already done!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Just upload something from the DVD that's suitable. I assume you've successfully copied the video_ts folder
    to the computer.
    Upload the m2v.
    You could also upload a section from your encode showing the problem with fluidity.
    Sometimes, thinking ahead about what we think may have gone wrong, turns out to be the wrong assumption.
    Best to take a look
    I don't suppose there's a Mac version of it?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    to the computer.
    Upload the m2v.
    Best to take a look
    It won't demonstrate the problem. On closer inspection, the fluidity is only there when I'm playing the DVD on a DVD player and my TV. If I play the DVD on a computer, it's gone. And similarly, if I rip the DVD and play it on my media server connected to the same TV, again the fluid motion is lost.

I can't show the problem because you can't notice any issues with the ripped files unless you see it alongside the DVD. On its own it looks fine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the frame rate of the encoded video 25 fps? The DVD original probably 25 interlaced, giving 50 fields.
    So by reducing to 25 fps progressive you lose half the temporal resolution.

However there is a way to de-interlace that turns 25i to 50p. Handbrake and Vidcoder can do it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by crgc View Post
    But on the DVD you can clearly distinguish between film and video based on how smooth the video looks.
    And if you convert everything to 50p with a double rate deinterlacer you will see exactly the same thing.

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Upload the m2v.
    It won't demonstrate the problem. On closer inspection, the fluidity is only there when I'm playing the DVD on a DVD player and my TV.
    I'm sorry but you simply don't know enough about what your doing. Everybody in this thread aside from you knows exactly how to deal with it and has done so for many years.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm sorry but you simply don't know enough about what your doing. Everybody in this thread aside from you knows exactly how to deal with it and has done so for many years.
    I'm sorry for asking VideoHelp forum without prior knowledge on how to solve the problem I'm asking help for help in solving. I see my mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is the frame rate of the encoded video 25 fps? The DVD original probably 25 interlaced, giving 50 fields.

However there is a way to de-interlace that turns 25i to 50p. Handbrake and Vidcoder can do it.
    So I'm assuming I'd need to make a 1:1 copy of the DVD and then import the TS files into Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see my mistake.
    I'm not sure. You haven't responded in a positive way to any of the suggestions that have been made.
    Enough detail about a possible remedy to the problem has been given based on the limited info revealed.
    Go ahead and try it yourself then report back. Handbrake runs on the mac
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

So I'm assuming I'd need to make a 1:1 copy of the DVD and then import the TS files into Handbrake?
    What was your work flow earlier? You've given little detail about what you actually did.
    If it's a commercial disk it's probably copy protected.
    I know nothing about the mac, Is there a program that will rip/decrypt the disk to the HDD ?

Once it's on the HDD, open the title (episode) you want to encode and set bob deinterlace in the HB settings

I found an old David Letterman clip I captured off the air 10 years ago, it's 1080i
    In Handbrake try it like this
    :
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	letterman.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	54565  

Click image for larger version

Name:	letterman2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	54566  

Last edited by davexnet; 16th Aug 2020 at 23:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crgc;2592501
    So I'm assuming I'd need to make a 1:1 copy of the DVD and then import the TS files into [url=https://www.videohelp.com/software/HandBrake
    Handbrake[/url]?

Well that comment alone speaks volumes.

For the last time, since your refusal to cooperate means no one can help, just what have you done, and how did you do it, to get the contents from the disk to your PC and what have you done, and the tools used, to the files after that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. What is the refresh rate of your computer monitor? Which of these videos play more smoothly?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

What was your work flow earlier? You've given little detail about what you actually did.
    If it's a commercial disk it's probably copy protected.
    I know nothing about the mac, Is there a program that will rip/decrypt the disk to the HDD ?

Once it's on the HDD, open the title (episode) you want to encode and set bob deinterlace in the HB settings

I found an old David Letterman clip I captured off the air 10 years ago, it's 1080i
    In Handbrake try it like this
    :
    Ok I'm doing that now. I'll let you know how it goes
    Quote Quote