VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, as some may remember I am trying to capture VHS. Well I can’t seem to capture them now with it skipping a frame or doubling a frame every now and the . How do I get it to stop doing this?? Is it the device?? Computer?? The TBC?? Output format??

This will be long so bare with me. I'll try to go into detail with what I've been working with. The VCR is a 1999 General Electric and I am using a 2006 Panasonic DVD Recorder as a pass-through. My laptop is a Dell Latitude. The capturing programs and devices I have is Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 and 7.0, Roxio Creator NXT 1 and 4, EyeTV (on my mac), Roxio VHS to DVD 3, and Pinnacle Studios 2008 and 2016 versions. Pinnacle 2016 and Roxio Creator NXT 4 are the one's I've mostly been using lately.

Here's a list of devices I've used. The Honestech programs came with VIDBOX capture cards, the Pinnacle programs came with Dazzle capture devices, Roxio VHS to DVD with its own device. I have a few WinTV devices including 850, 950, and 955 while the EyeTV devices I have are Hybrid, 250, and HD. I've tried a few others including ION video capture and Gigaware video capture with mixed results. My best results have been with VIDBOX, Dazzle, and WinTV devices.

Anyways my current problem as I initially mentioned was getting glitches in my captures. In a few places the captures will skip a frame or add one. I've even tried mixing and matching various devices to see what I could get. I've tried 2016 Dazzle with 2016 Pinnacle but am unable to adjust the volume of the stream even if I go into device manager. However, I can adjust the volume of the device if I use it with Roxio Creator NXT. Other instances such as the VIDBOX07 through Roxio Creator has the audio revert back to its default level when I start and stop recording despite my attempts to adjust it. The 2008 Dazzle, VIDBOX03, and WinTV 850 are at appropriate volume levels.

Just to cut a long story short the Roxio Creator program seems to be the best for doing this despite what device I use. The Honestech programs leaves a combing effect like this in the captured video.

One program that I've seen suggested is Vdub which I did try and it gave me the effect above. I also have tried the capturing options for Nero and this Corel editing program I have and still got that effect. The Roxio and Pinnacle programs do not give off this effect. Further more other 'free' capturing software I've tried that didn't give off that effect re-encoded the video. The purchased softwares I have do not do this.

I've tried mixing and matching with mixed results. Some programs don't frame the image right depending on the device and program. For example the 2016 Dazzle used in the 2016 Pinnacle had the correct framing. However if I use the device with 2008 Pinnacle the Image is slightly stretched horizontally with a small portion of the right image clipped off.

I recently downloaded Vdub again and the framing looks off again so I'm not sure I wanna go that route. Further more the WinTV devices don't appear to work through that program.

Again apologies if I'm rambling but I just wanted to detail what I've been working with to hopefully assist in understanding what the problem may be. I've tried different combinations and different programs and these minor glitches remain. Is it the devices?? The DVD recorder (TBC)?? The computer?? Is it the settings?? When I use Roxio Creator NXT I usually set it to DVD HQ. A little bit ago I tried AVI but there was numerous audio glitches.

Anyways I hope I've elaborated enough. Any other questions please ask and I'll provide what information I can. What do you guys think?? What can I do to eliminate these glitches??? I'd rather not be given options of using editing tools after the fact to fix this mostly because for example if I do lose a frame in the actual capturing how do I expect the program to restore it??

I hope to get some help with this because this is beyond frustrating me. I’ve asked FanRes and digitalfaq with a bit of help here and there but I’m still stumped and it’s annoying. Opinions??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post

One program that I've seen suggested is Vdub which I did try and it gave me the effect above.
    That's what you're supposed to see in VirtualDub while/after capturing. You have interlaced video. You deinterlace later if necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video
    https://www.100fps.com/
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Apr 2018 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    I am using a 2006 Panasonic DVD Recorder as a pass-through.
    Is it the DMR-ES15? That model is among the best but cannot work miracles if your tape and/or player are seriously munged up. The drumbeat of 30/1001 frames per second marches on whether the tape is readable or not.

As jagabo advises, the "effect" you posted is an artifact caused by superimposing two time-separated fields in a single frame. Analog monitors (CRTs) didn't work the same way as a matrix display like LCD. If you are not playing back on a vintage CRT, then you need to combine the fields ("deinterlacing") according to one of several software schemes, none of which is perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am using the DMR-ES15. I understand somewhat what you're saying about the effect but even if I was to deinterlace later there's at least 2-3 programs that I have that doesn't reproduce that effect when capturing which just makes it all the more confusing. So it is possible the issue is the DVD recorder??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    ...there's at least 2-3 programs that I have that doesn't reproduce that effect when capturing.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's what you're supposed to see in VirtualDub while/after capturing. You have interlaced video. You deinterlace later if necessary.
    Do you understand? It's supposed to be interlaced. Whatever programs you're using that don't give you that effect are deinterlacing it on the fly. You don't want that. Turn off the deinterlacing once you figure out what's doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Many programs don't show the interlaced frames because they know people will be freaked out by it. Whether you want to deinterlace depends on the final destination of the video. For example, youtube doesn't support interlaced video. So you'll want to deinterlace before uploading to YouTube. On the other hand DVD fully supports interlaced video. So for DVD you don't need to deinterlace. If properly made the the DVD will be deinterlaced at playback (by the DVD player or the TV).
    Quote Quote  
  7. We’re getting off topic now. This is about the glitches, not interlacing. Furthermore I try to do as little editing to my captures as possible. Unless the programs deinterlacing them on the fly is part of what’s giving me the glitches than sorry that IS what I want. I know what I’m trying to do can be achieved because I’ve done it before. I did a few captures last year with the same setup and programs and got good captures but after a while it started doubling a frame or skipping them in some spots. Someone on one site suggested it might be the USB ports not being strong enough. Taking that into consideration and the fact that the laptop I was using was almost a decade old I decided to get a new laptop. The problem still remains. That is why I am here.
    Last edited by crissrudd4554; 11th Apr 2018 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You're really getting complicated. Your video looks like plain vanilla interlaced to me, and that's exactly the way they're supposed to look in any editor that doesn't deinterlace during display (which is the way all video editors work). Media players, DVD players, BluRay players, and tv will deinterlace during play. If what you've benen doing to your other captures to result in the problems you describe, you're doing something wrong during capture.

How about a short sample of this problem video? All we can tell from your posted image is that it looks like an interlaced frame with motion. It could also be a telecined frame. Without a sample we're just guessing.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    We’re getting off topic now.
    You're the one who brought up interlacing. On-the-fly deinterlacing could part of your problem -- it's more work for the computer while capturing.

Regarding dropped/duplicate frames, there can be many causes. VHS has very poor time base. Especially at the slower tape speeds or with second generation recordings. I recommend you test your setup with a clean source -- live camcorder video, a DVD player with an unencrypted DVD, etc. If you still get dropped/duplicate frames you can be sure it's the capture software and your computer hardware. There a zillions of threads here regarding how to avoid such problems. For example, a recent post of mine:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388626-Best-software-for-capturing?highlight=audio...ng#post2516596

That was specifically about VirtualDub but much of it pertains to any video capture.

Using a laptop is the first strike against you. They are slow and the internal drive is being used by the OS frequently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @LMotlow That image above was not from a video I made. It was an image I found to just give a visual aid of what I meant in that respect.

@jagabo Understand. The interlacing aspect was not supposed to be part of me detailing my current problem. It was just part of me outlining what Ive done and why I’ve switched between programs. I’ll try to look into some of your other suggestions. There is a desktop computer upstairs so maybe I kind find a way to put something together up there.

Not to stray too far off topic but in a prior discussion I had on this site someone suggested a VCR with a built in TBC. Should I possibly consider that (if the other options don’t work of course)??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    The interlacing aspect was not supposed to be part of me detailing my current problem. It was just part of me outlining what Ive done and why I’ve switched between programs.
    Yes, but it sounded like you were writing off certain programs because of the interlacing. That would be a mistake if the programs were working fine otherwise.

someone suggested a VCR with a built in TBC. Should I possibly consider that (if the other options don’t work of course)??
    A deck with a built in TBC will be a S-VHS deck. It's getting hard to find one in good working order. Unless your tapes are in really bad shape the ES15's output should be pretty clean (in terms of missing/duplicate frames).
    Quote Quote  
  12. One thing I may do is do a test capture WITHOUT the TBC and see how that comes out. If the glitches are still there we might be onto something.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Gonna have to put all this on hold. Computers drive needs to be wiped and turns out the virus was caused by VDub!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gonna have to put all this on hold. Computers drive needs to be wiped and turns out the virus was caused by VDub!
    What virus?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Gonna have to put all this on hold. Computers drive needs to be wiped and turns out the virus was caused by VDub!
    What virus?
    There was like a bunch of them. Can't do anything until further notice.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    turns out the virus was caused by VDub!
    Only if you didn't download it from a reputable site.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I got it from virtualdub.org
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub.org doesn't have any downloads now does it?
    Just a bunch of links to Sourceforge
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Virtualdub.org doesn't have any downloads now does it?
    Just a bunch of links to Sourceforge
    I believe it was this page so I guess you're right.

http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post

I just downloaded the current 32 bit version from there and submitted it to virustotal.com. All the AV programs showed no virus.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I just downloaded the current 32 bit version from there and submitted it to virustotal.com. All the AV programs showed no virus.
    The version I downloaded was 64bit. My stepdad was the one looking at my computer and pinned it to VDub and he's usually very good with computers. He was actually trying to rid the virus for probably almost an hour before he realized it was VDub. Don't know what else to say.
    Last edited by crissrudd4554; 12th Apr 2018 at 00:11.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ok scratch what I said about VDub giving me the virus. It may not have. I was actually installing another program at the time the virus surfaced so most likely it was that. My stepdad assumed the virus was because of VDub since it was a program that had been installed from about the past day up until then.

Anyways I’m still waiting to get the computer up and running again so this will have to remain on hold until then. What I will likely do first before trying VDub again is do two test captures, one with TBC and one without, using either Pinnacle or Roxio (thinking Pinnacle this time) just to test whether or not the TBC might be part of the issue. Stay tuned everyone.
    Quote Quote