VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to be able to video map one video on to (or in to another) like in the Daily Prophet in harry Potter.

So a character in the video holds a news paper and on the news paper a video is playing in a certain area.. The video moves with the paper.
    This is possible using HTML 5 and canvas and coding it all by putting markers denoting the four corners of the area you want to show the video and then on the fly making moving and scaling the inserted video. SO this works but not well and is far more complex than I need due to the image being a sort video not a live stream so no augmented reality needed...
    Sorry folks I'm rambling...
    Is there a way to do this using VSDC ? I'm not even sure what to call this effect as I've search video mapping and video inserting and moving green screen but alas haven't found the answer...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Perfo View Post
    I would like to be able to video map one video on to (or in to another) like in the Daily Prophet in harry Potter.

So a character in the video holds a news paper and on the news paper a video is playing in a certain area.. The video moves with the paper.
    This is possible using HTML 5 and canvas and coding it all by putting markers denoting the four corners of the area you want to show the video and then on the fly making moving and scaling the inserted video. SO this works but not well and is far more complex than I need due to the image being a sort video not a live stream so no augmented reality needed...
    Sorry folks I'm rambling...
    Is there a way to do this using VSDC ? I'm not even sure what to call this effect as I've search video mapping and video inserting and moving green screen but alas haven't found the answer...

Thanks

It's called an "overlay." The basic effect is called "four corner pin" , analogous to your HTML5 example - so each corner moves and distorts the overlay (which is the video insert in your case), so you get translation, perspective as the background paper moves, and it appears as if the insert "sticks" to the paper. Typically the 4 pins are connected to a motion tracker. Not only is it more accurate, it's usually much faster than doing it manually. But for flat planar surface inserts (e.g. I'm sure you've seen smart phone commercials, where the screen is replaced) , usually a planar tracker is used (e.g. mocha) .

But does the newspaper crinkle , fold or distort in a more complex fashion ? or is it always "flat", but moving ? Certain types of distortions can be more challenging and you need more than "four" corners. Sometimes you need more pins, or mesh warping, or even more complex is projection mapping in 3D onto geometry

I don't know if VSDC has any of these, but in editors it will typically be called "four corner pin", or "perspective" effect . And you would have to keyframe the corners manually
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was sticking to non crinkling to start with and see if I could get that to work...
    So maybe four pins could be the easiest..
    Does anyone know if I can do this (even manually frame by frame) with VSCD ? I haven't got any other editors and this one does seem pretty good...
    Thanks for the reply....
    Quote Quote  
  4. You probably want to use motion tracking , because subpixel shifting will make the insert "look" like it's falling off or not quite "sticking". ie. non real. It's very difficult to do it manually.

Blender is free and has a planar tracker

e.g I don't know if this tutorial is any good, but the concepts are the same for all programs using planar tracking . I think he might go over masks / rotoscoping too so that would be useful to you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEAfzwrd2Sg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used blender in the past though not to a very high level... I'll go watch the video ...thanks for the link..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Deleted - wrong thread)
    Quote Quote