VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have Movie Studio 8.0 and a JVC Camcorder.

I have video from my Camcorder that is 720x480 MPEG2. Format.
    I am going to Edit it and then save it to my Hard Drive as Widescreen.

I know if I am making an MPEG2 File for a DVD I would use the Format calledDVD Archatect NTSC says Audio: None
    Video: 29.97 fps, 720x480
    Use this setting to create an NTSC Widescreen video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.

And yes I know this Format will Set a Widescreen Flag and encode no Audio.

But I do see another Format called
    Default MPEG2. Audio: 224 Kbps, 44,100 Hz, Layer 2
    Video: 29.970 fps, 720x480

So I know this will encode Audio with the Video.

But am I Right because it does not say Widecreen in the Description it will not set a Widescreen Flag?
    So when I save it to my Hard Drive and play it back it will not have a Widescreen look?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD cannot have 44.1 audio, only 48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But with that second option there should be a button or something to allow you to edit the profile to ensure your video remains as widescreen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't just look at the name of the "format" (aka preset name), look the the settings details (video stream, audio stream, multiplex/container). Compare those.

Not at my home workstations right now, but from memory, the former is for creating raw video streams, so it would have info in the video section, audio would be dimmed/ignored/deselected, and multiplex would deselected or say something like "elementary stream"). This is for use with adding elementary streams as assets into an authoring app (for those that support elementary streams). You end up with an ***.M2V type file.
    The latter would have all 3 sections selected, so you would end up with an ***.MPG type file (an MPEG2 Program Stream container, which encapsulates the video stream and the audio stream). This is for authoring apps that expect container-ed assets for import.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well the first MPEG2. Format that says DVD Widescreen NTSC for use with DVD Arch. will not encode Audio.
    It just will make a Widescreen MPEG2. File for Importing into DVD Arch. to make a DVD.

Because I know you always ad the Audio separately when you make a DVD.

But I just want to know why this Format says Widescreen but the other MPEG2. Form says Default but it does not say Widescreen?

Does this mean if I make a File with MPEG2. Default it will not make a Widescreen File?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look up the word 'Default'.

That does not mean the selection can not be changed. Scott made it quite clear what you do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I have Movie Studio 8.0 and a JVC Camcorder.

<snip>

But am I Right because it does not say Widecreen in the Description it will not set a Widescreen Flag?
    So when I save it to my Hard Drive and play it back it will not have a Widescreen look?
    You would be better off asking this question in the Magix Vegas forum. Many of the people in this forum don't know Vegas very well.

The presets in Vegas are labeled "widescreen" if the PAR is set to widescreen (1.212) vs. 4:3 (0.9091). There is no "widescreen flag" (you may be thinking of the pulldown flag that lets you encode 23.976 fps film so that it can be shown on a TV set that is hard-wired to 29.97 fps). Instead widescreen is determined by the Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR). You can see this parameter for yourself and therefore answer your own question if you go to the Advanced (Customize Template) setting for that template. You will then see the aspect ratio. If you want, you can change it.

The presets that are NOT labeled "DVD Architect" are for using MPEG-2 to create a video file that can simply be played on your computer, and therefore contain the audio. When you do this, it makes no difference what bitrate you use for the audio. By contrast, the presets that ARE labeled "DVD Architect" do not include the audio. This lets you render the audio and video separately, thus letting you re-render one without having to waste time re-rendering the other, when you are making changes. As others have said, when you do render audio for a DVD, it should be 48,000 bps, not 44,000 bps, but when you are just creating a file to play on your computer, 44,000 bps works just fine (it is the standard for audio CD work).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    John,

I trust you do not mind me chipping in re your response. I do not use Movie Studio but I regard myself as an average user i.e. not having intimate knowledge about encoder settings etc.

The programs that I have used will have encoder settings for NTSC,PAL,16:9,4:3 etc. So if I see 16:9 and select it then I trust the program will encode as 16:9. Even Big Brother Vegas, from a time when I did use it, if memory serves, does not explicitly have a PAR setting. I appreciate you are just making a mute point re the existence or not of a flag but only serves to confuse the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    John,

I trust you do not mind me chipping in re your response. I do not use Movie Studio but I regard myself as an average user i.e. not having intimate knowledge about encoder settings etc.

The programs that I have used will have encoder settings for NTSC,PAL,16:9,4:3 etc. So if I see 16:9 and select it then I trust the program will encode as 16:9. Even Big Brother Vegas, from a time when I did use it, if memory serves, does not explicitly have a PAR setting. I appreciate you are just making a mute point re the existence or not of a flag but only serves to confuse the issue.
    You are right: when encoding to MPEG-2 in Vegas it only provides presets for aspect ratio. For most of the other encoders it provides presets but also lets you type in your own PAR number.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for all the time everybody.
    When I go to Render As MPEG2. Default the Custom Tab is Gray.

And I did ask this in Maxic Forum for Movie Studio and they told me they do not know how to change Settings in Movie Studio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the rendered 720x480 m2v video is 4:3 and you want to change the display aspect ratio to 16:9, there is software available that allows changing it, Restream.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've seen nothing to indicate it's supposed to be 16:9. The term "Widescreen" is often used to indicate widescreen video with black bars above and below and encoded as 4:3.

All he's said about the DAR is, "I am going to Edit it and then save it to my Hard Drive as Widescreen.", which is less than informative. He can easily open the original MPEG2 in something like DGIndex or MediaInfo to learn if it's really 16:9. Then, having never used any of the programs mentioned, it seems to me that reading the manual should explain how to proceed. As the word is usually used, "Widescreen" is not synonymous with 16:9.

An alternative might be to just try out a setting, do the encoding, and then see if it turns out as expected. He could have done that several times already, instead of providing incomplete and confusing information. If he guesses wrong he can take usually_quiet's advice on how to change the DAR. Or, after having completed the DVD, PGCEdit can also be used to easily change the DAR.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    Thank you for all the time everybody.
    When I go to Render As MPEG2. Default the Custom Tab is Gray.

And I did ask this in Maxic Forum for Movie Studio and they told me they do not know how to change Settings in Movie Studio.

You were told there what to use with a warning regarding your (possibly) .mod/.moi files.
    Quote Quote  
  14. it even doesn't matter at all, I think, for example,

I remember loading 16:9 m2v video stream 720x480 , flagged that way, playing as 16:9 on its own, but after loading it into DVD Architect project making a DVD and that DVD was playing as 4:3 , also mediainfo VOB readings were 4:3, in computer it was playing as 4:3, I was wandering what had happened then ... but then discovered that project properties in DVD Architect were set to 4:3 that I did not notice before, did not pay attention how it looked on timeline

so in theory it should work even the other way

EDIT: Sorry, nope, it was menu only, not title

if exporting for computer, just make mp4 using MainConcept avc encoder

but as manono says, it perhaps is something else, as it always mostly is
    Last edited by _Al_; 14th Nov 2018 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK this is what I did.
    I Shot some video with my JVC Camcorder at 720x480 then coped it to my DeskTop.

I then put it into the Program MediaInfo and it says the video Ratio is 16:9 so it is Widescreen.

So I opened it in Movie Studio and did some Edits to it.
    Then I Render As MPEG2. I I did MPEG2 Template.

Then I put this new Rendered File into MediaInfo and it says the Ratio is 4:3 and this is not Widescreen.
    So if I want to keep my Widescreen Ratio but still Render As MPEG2 I have to use the template called MPEG2 DVD NTSC Widscreen.

But like I say it will not encode Audio with the video.

So Pthought I would try MPEG1 and the Template here will let you Customize it.
    But when I get to the video Ratio Tab I see

it does not have 1.2121 for Widescreen.
    Is this because MPEG1 does not support Widescreen Ratio?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right-click on your file on the MS 8 timeline and click Properties... in the opening menu. Tell us the Pixel aspect mentioned in the Properties Media tab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at ALL the encoder options available. Seems that the presets can not be altered but there must be one that you can select and change at will. Else the program is not worth it.

But the other thing is you are using v 8.0. I see the latest version is 15.0 and that could be different. So unless anyone here or even on the bespoke forum is using your version you may be on your own.

But, again, DO check ALL the encoder options or if unsure just write them out here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the OP is using MS 8 and not MS Platinum 8, he most likely does not have customizable templates. An upgrade to a newer Platinum has been suggested to him on the bespoke forum.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you can't produce MPG2 video with the right aspect ratio flag you can always use a program like DVDPatcher to change the MPEG headers.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ok I opened my video file that is right from my JVC Camcorder.

I Opened it in my Movie Studio Timeline and Right click it.
    For Aspect Ratio it says 0.9091 NTSC DV.

If I am right this is not Widescreen.
    But if I open it in MediaInfo it says Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  21. If it is widescreen, you'll be able to tell just by looking at it. I think you're over-thinking this a bit. Just render it and then play it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ok my video from my JVC Camcorder is Widescreen because the video ThubmNail on my DeskTop looks Wider then High.

And if I open it in MediaInfo it says Ratio is 16:9.

I did call Sony and you can not Buy over the Phone.

Can you give me the right link to the Sony WebSite to Buy it?
    Or how do I Buy it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click on your own software link (in red). Takes you to the software page on this site. Click on 'Visit Developer's site' on that page.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I went to Magix WebSite to look for Movie Studio Platinum and it says you need
    Win64 Bit
    Version 8. 8.1 / 10

Now I have Win7. 64 Bit will it work with it?

I ask because some programs say they need Win 8 or 10 but they can work on Lower.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually it says: "You need a 64-bit version of one the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10".

You can download a free 30-day trial from the product page.

Quote: "I Opened it in my Movie Studio Timeline and Right click it. For Aspect Ratio it says 0.9091 NTSC DV.
    If I am right this is not Widescreen. But if I open it in MediaInfo it says Aspect Ratio 16:9"

If you have and import the .mod/.moi files, you would get just that. Did you read the link on the other forum?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong.

Read that page again.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean this page? Image
    [Attachment 47193 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  28. You could present a very short sample of your video here, because that "720x480 MPEG2" could actually mean anything what's really inside, it is not DV.avi but mpeg2.

Just record 5 seconds, perhaps you can pan with your camcorder horizontally, so interlacing could be verified, and you can upload it here.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I am so sorry I just found my Post here.
    I found Movie Studio 15 on Amazon.com

I found this
    https://www.amazon.com/VEGAS-Movie-Studio-15-Suite/dp/B07BBB63YR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qi...ovie+studio+15

And this one
    https://www.amazon.com/VEGAS-Movie-Studio-15-Platinum/dp/B07B2W72JY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8...ovie+studio+15

And this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Corel-VideoStudio-Ultimate-Video-Editing/dp/B079945T8M/ref=sr_1...tudio+15&psc=1

I would like to Buy it from Amazon because you get a Program Disc Mailed to you.
    But witch one do I need?

I have Movie Studio 8. now so I know all of these will do everything my Movie Studio does and more.

So out of the 3. above witch one does more?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez. Are you being difficult or what ?

Go back to the Movie Studio site and compare the program specs for the different versions for the first two. The 'suite' by definition has more since it includes other programs but it might not be the 'Platinum' version of studio.

Then go to the Corel site and look that their spec. Corel also has a dedicated forum.
    Quote Quote