VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone,

I have a query regarding burning a DVD from a DVD folder.

I have a DVD folder which contains a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder. Both contain separate VOB and AOB files. The total size of the DVD directory is 6.41 GB.

My question is - do I need an 8.5GB blank DVD to burn the entire disc with audio? I'm using Ashampoo Burning Studio and it will only allow me to burn the VIDEO_TS folder which is 1.83 GB. When I insert a blank 4.7 GB DVD it states that "The inserted DVD is OK". I assume by doing this I'm missing out on the higher quality audio that is contained in the AUDIO_TS file.

Should I be using an 8.5 GB blank double layer disc?
    Any help appreciated...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    afaik the audio_ts format standard was never implemented. the audio-ts folder is always empty because there is no dvd audio format. whatever is in yours is extra unplayable junk if i'm right. go ahead and copy just the video_ts.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't the filled audio_ts folder reserved for DVD-Audio ?

Never seen a disk that has both though. One or the other but not both.

And, yes, playing that disk in a dvd player would not access the audio_ts folder regardless. Same as a dvd-audio player could not access the video_ts folder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It just seems strange that the AUDIO_TS file is bigger than the VIDEO_TS file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I was slightly incorrect about the co-existence of both the video_ts and audio_ts folders.

A dvd-audio disk can have both just to main some compatability and allow you to listen to the audio in a standard dvd player. Only a bespoke dvd-audio player can still access the audio_ts folder.

And why is the audio_ts folder larger ? Simple. Dvd-audio supports much larger bitrates and frequencies than dvd-video. And, as you said, is of a much higher quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, would I be able to burn a DVD-audio disc from the audio_ts folder? Also, would that mean different burning software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try imgburn.

But select 'Build' mode to drag both folders. But if you do not have a dvd-audio player there is little point. Even a pc-based dvd drive is only for dvd-video.

As I said, a standard dvd-player does not see the audio_ts folder and it plays whatever is in the video_ts folder (even if there is no video). In fact, as already pointed out, you only need to burn the video_ts folder for normal dvd-video playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. That's clearer, many thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some very early dvd's had audio seperate from video. Some very early dvd players only saw the audio in the AUDIO_TS folder. Some slightly newer 'old' players looked in the AUDIO_TS for audio, then looked for audio 'muxed' in VIDEO_TS folder. They 'hung up' looking for the AUDIO_TS folder, hence the empty folder. DVD players now dont need the AUDIO_TS folder anymore.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote