VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. English is not my main language so I must watch with sub. Also I must hardcode subtitle to video because my television doesn't support any subtitle files.
    As I know it, There isn't way to hardcode without render. So, what is the fastest way to render? or rather, what is the fastest program on same quality settings.
    Note:
    I have got RX 480. I can use GPU acceleration.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fastest way is single pass bit rate mode. File size mode is equivalent to bit rate mode really because file size = bit rate * running length of video. But the video quality will stink. No way around that.

Next fastest is constant q mode or crf. You don't have as much control over the file size but the quality is about the best and it's faster than 2 pass encoding.

No, you cannot hardcode subs without re encoding. I'm not sure GPU acceleration will help that much and quality tends to suffer there.

All those encoders are similar re speed ... there's no magic encoder. The only reason some say that their encoder is faster is that they default to super fast settings (that give you terrible quality).

You don't say which video formats your TV will accept but it's likely xvid or x264. For encoding to xvid I like Avidemux and for x264, Handbrake or Vidcoder, which is Handbrake with a different interface.

There are many other encoders but video encoding is complicated and there isn''t really any way to simplify it all that much. The "easy one click" variety of encoders give you terrible video. There are a lot of others who many video geeks will recommend which can give you great quality. But note I said "can give you ...". They're too hard for novices to use. Avidemux and Handbrake have a good compromise between power and easiness of use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    The fastest way is single pass bit rate mode. File size mode is equivalent to bit rate mode really because file size = bit rate * running length of video. But the video quality will stink. No way around that.

Next fastest is constant q mode or crf. You don't have as much control over the file size but the quality is about the best and it's faster than 2 pass encoding.

No, you cannot hardcode subs without re encoding. I'm not sure GPU acceleration will help that much and quality tends to suffer there.

All those encoders are similar re speed ... there's no magic encoder. The only reason some say that their encoder is faster is that they default to super fast settings (that give you terrible quality).

You don't say which video formats your TV will accept but it's likely xvid or x264. For encoding to xvid I like Avidemux and for x264, Handbrake or Vidcoder, which is Handbrake with a different interface.

There are many other encoders but video encoding is complicated and there isn''t really any way to simplify it all that much. The "easy one click" variety of encoders give you terrible video. There are a lot of others who many video geeks will recommend which can give you great quality. But note I said "can give you ...". They're too hard for novices to use. Avidemux and Handbrake have a good compromise between power and easiness of use.
    Thanks too much, this helped me a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you don't need especially high quality, or can live with higher bitrates, try HandBrake or VidCoder with one of the hardware based encoders (QSV, NVENC) or x264 at the veryfast preset.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Jun 2017 at 20:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you don't need especially high quality, or can live with higher bitrates, try HandBrake or VidCoder with one of the hardware based encoders (QSV, NVENC) or x264 at the veryfast preset.
    Thanks for reply.
    I use both. They are so simple and useful program. But I have a question. Vidcoder doesn't support GPU acc. and when I switch settings to openCL(GPU acc.), the program is crash.
    Also I am changed my GPU because of some problems. I'm using Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6G now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah, looking again, I don't think HandBrake (and hence VidCoder) supports NVENC because it is not "free". Crashing with OCL support probably indicates a configuration problem -- but I don't know anything about that. Nvidia's support for OCL video encoding seems to be lackluster.
    Quote Quote