VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone I have been downloading exercise clips from UTube to make a whole exercise video,
    no problem. Have played the clips to ensure they have downloaded properly, no prob.
    Then, using DVD Flick, I add these files, probably to about 84% full and then create a DVD.
    The DVDs always come out perfect in the beginning and then about half way through they
    start to get pixilated and then just get worse for each clip up until the end.
    To double check I re-did the DVD Flick process, putting the pixilated clips first and visa versa.
    Again, after creating a new DVD, the first batch of clips come out fine and then they start
    pixilating mid-way gradually getting worse. Any ideas guys???
    I use DVD Flick because it is free, I cant afford to buy one. Any help would be great!

Great site by the way
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Bad video at the END of a disc usually means you are using crap discs. Having said that....the majority of YouTube vids(especially older ones) are CRAP quality to begin with.....crap in - crap out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are the properties of the original downloaded clips ? If they are not full dvd size then whatever program you are using must convert them to 720*576. Add to that the bitrate of the final dvd and unless the original clips are high quality you are gonna end up with a sea of pixels whatever.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Bad discs, never thought of that. Has anyone else experienced that?

Apart from Flick are there any other FREE - not a trial, easy to use software that does the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jacknscoob View Post
    Bad discs, never thought of that. Has anyone else experienced that?
    Very common....especially at the end of the disc. Usual culprits are Memorsux and TDK brand.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    As a newbie 'What are the properties of the original downloaded clips ? ' - do you mean the properties of the original files on UTube or the properties of the clips once I have downloaded them?

Surely, the clips are of a quality to be burnable. As when they are copied 1st they come out fine, it's just when they are burnt/copied towards the end that they pixalate?

Each clip is about 5-7 mins long.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all your replies.

My discs are Sony DVD-R
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    On DVD Flick - what should the 'thread count' be. Mine automatically picked up 2, is that OK?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a newbie 'What are the properties of the original downloaded clips ? ' - do you mean the properties of the original files on UTube or the properties of the clips once I have downloaded them?

Surely, the clips are of a quality to be burnable. As when they are copied 1st they come out fine, it's just when they are burnt/copied towards the end that they pixalate?

Each clip is about 5-7 mins long.
    The clips after you download them. What does mediainfo say? Any clip will have its height/width quoted in pixels. And the frame rate. Is each clip the same properties ?

But, as has been said, if the disks are poor quality then problems will arise anyway. Using another program - look under tools for plenty of free choices - will not solve that.

They may be Sony disks but Sony do not make them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Guys

I would need to download mediainfo, so b4 I do that, I'll give Flick another go with a different brand of DVD I have just found...fingers Xd
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone

I managed to find a spare blank DVD of a different brand and left it burning overnight (it takes about 16 hrs, is that normal?) anyhow YIPPEE it came out alot better. Not perfect though. Out of 11 clips (ave 7 mins long), only the last 4 were slightly pixilated, much better than using the other DVDs.

Today, I bought a new batch of blank DVDs (of a different brand again) and I'll try burning again overnight and see how it comes out.

Thanks for all your replies
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, 16 hours is not normal (the actual burn time would vary between 5 mins and 60 minutes depending on the burn speed) but the total time depends on how much re-encoding must be done to the clips as downloaded and the speed etc. of your PC.

It would also be worth analysing the blank dvd through a program such as dvd identifier that will tell you who actually makes the disk. There are a whole lot of cr*p brands and the common consensus around here is that only Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are of any quality.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

Bought a new batch of blank DVD discs. No good, still pixilating after half way through Driving me mad.

I downloaded the DVD Identifier and the 2 sets of discs that pixilated were from manufacturers Rilek Corp (Sony discs) and CMC Magnetic.

Thickening of plot since I wrote the above.

Evening update: OK, new batch of discs, recorded 11 clips. 3 different outcomes for the same disc on 3 different DVD players.
    1. Player 1 - perfect
    2. Player 2 - (where i usually use it). Starts OK, then half way through starts pixilating gradually getting worse til the end.
    3. Player 3 - tracks 1-4 fine. Tracks 5-8 terrible pixilation (much worse than no. 2). Tracks 9-11 fine.

Work that one out!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Work that one out!!
    We are trying....but you are not.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What are the properties of the original downloaded clips ?
    Surely, the clips are of a quality to be burnable
    Surely you should know by now that YouTube clips are HARDLY known for any kind of quality. In fact most YouTube clips come to you as an FLV file....the "dead-end" video format that is very difficult to convert back to anything useable, let alone burnable.

Answer the question or keep burning coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, apologoes I know this post is rather trying

I'll have to go back into UTube to look up the properties of the original clips (I think).

What I dont get is that the exact same clip on the exact same disc works fine on one DVD player, slightly pixilated on another and completely pixilated on a 3rd player, surely then could there be a problem with the players???????????????? Rather than my mountain of coasters
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll have to go back into UTube to look up the properties of the original clips (I think).
    No. You need to install MediaInfo or GSpot and open the YouTube clips that you have on your hard drive and analyze them to check the format and bit rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as the blank media is concerned, dvd inpsector will also show you a code alongside the manufacturer. Check the full manuf/code against this:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

To determine if these blanks are of reasonable quality - I did a quick check and the Sony/Ritek and the CMC appear to be grade two which can result in variable quality.

Now I would suggest another approach. Split your project in to three stages.

1. Let DVD flick do the authoring (however long it takes) but 'burn' folders to your HDD rather than straight-to-disk
    2. Test the folders in a software DVD player - if you still have pixelization issues then you can not blame the blank disks.
    3. Only when you have solved the pixelization issue (if that is solveable) then burn to a disk using imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hiya, in reply to the last comment, DVD Flick only has the option to copy to a disc and not the hard-drive. Options are DVD 4.3GB & DVD-RAM 4.2GB. My discs are DVD-R 4.7GBs, I chose the DVD 4.3GB, is that right?

When I view the downloaded files on my computer they play in Windows Media Player fine, no pixilation.

What shall I do next, is there any chance it is the DVD Player? as they played fine (no pix) on the DVD player downstairs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, just so that I was not going totally mad, I just created a quick dvd using DVD Flick AND created HDD folders and NOT a burn-to-disk.

Method:

1. DeSelect 'Create ISO image' AND 'burn project to disk' on the burning settings under Project Settings
    2. Create your destination folder - this defaults to 'My Documents'. Best to change that.

Program creates a sub-folder called 'dvd' in your destination folder which has both the audio_ts and video_ts folders and the necceassry files for playback in these.

Of course, it could be the dvd player. All players react differently to different brands of media. But I still think you should determine that there is NO pixelization on the files BEFORE you burn the disk.

AND you still have NOT answered my original questions.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Hiya DB83

OK I have done what you have advised. I will have a look back at your questions and let you know of the outcome of the DVD Flick. Dont worry I am sure you are not going mad, prob. just weary looking at my post )
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there

I have authored to my computer via Flick and created file dvd hold AUDIO TS & VIDEO TS files, in VIDEO TS, there are loadsa BUP & IFO files, now how do I view them??
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jacknscoob View Post
    I have authored to my computer via Flick and created file dvd hold AUDIO TS & VIDEO TS files, in VIDEO TS, there are loadsa BUP & IFO files, now how do I view them??
    You play it as a DVD, like with Power DVD or something like that. Check towards the end and dollars to donuts there's no pixellation.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    I dont think I have Power DVD, I cant see it. I have Windows Media Player but cant work out how to open the file to view??
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I have played the 'dvd' using Windows Live Movie Maker and it only shows the sucessful copying of clip no. 1 and no. 6 out of 11. In between these are just 'warnign' signs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use VLC to play dvd files from your HDD. Just use the 'open folder' from the 'media' menu and select the 'video_ts' folder.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Guys

My DVD is now playing fine, no pixilation. I changed to a new DVD Player today.

I will copy another disc tonight and test again tomorrow but so far so good.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys

Thanks for all your advice, I have learnt alot. It's a maze!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    My last DVD Flick author/buring process took approx 3.5 hrs, so that's better
    Quote Quote