VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing I'm working on has many moments where lines of dialogue occur too soon after one another for it to be a good idea to instantly replace the previous subtitle with the next, so I'm needing to have moments where two lines are shown simultaneously. Obviously this means that it's a three-step process: Line 1 by itself is visible for X time; lines 1 and 2 together are visible for Y time; line 2 by itself is visible for Z time.

What I'm trying to avoid is the default behavior of the above scenario, which is to say that it forces all subtitles to the bottom of the screen. This behavior will cause line 1 to shift upwards one line when line 2 gets introduced. What I would rather do is have line 1 shifted upwards in the first place, so no adjustment is required when line 2 appears. This means I need a way of forcing an empty slot.

I do not know the syntax for getting this to work in Subtitle Edit. A simple carriage return in the text block gets ignored and removed. Now, hopefully obviously, what I don't want is to be forced to do something silly like have a visible . or - in the blank line, just to make Subtitle Edit happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if this can be achieved with text-based subs altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
    This means I need a way of forcing an empty slot.
    Now, hopefully obviously, what I don't want is to be forced to do something silly like have a visible . or - in the blank line, just to make Subtitle Edit happy.
    Does Subtitle Edit "swallow" a non-breaking space character
    I mean, ALT+0160
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read about that option before. Unfortunately, even trying to type that into Subtitle Edit causes it to implement some built-in alt commands. And the option doesn't even exist to copypaste the thing since there's nothing to copy/paste.
    Quote Quote