VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have videos recorded with Canon Legria HF 200 which according to Premiere Pro outputs AVCHD H.264 videos. When I'm editing those in Premiere and try to export to Bluray compatible format I have two presets to use:
    - HD 1080i (H.264 Blu-ray)
    - HD 1080i (MPEG2 Blu-ray)

So far I've used MPEG2 without doing any background research but now I started to wonder if I get better quality / performance if I export my videos to H.264 (as the original source seems to be the same according to Premiere). But when trying to do so I noticed that it takes significantly more time to export my edited videos into H.264 than into MPEG2. Why? And do I even get any benefit out of this or should I just stick with MPEG2?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am assuming that you are creating a Blu-ray disc. If you are, use HD 1080i (H.264 Blu-ray). This is the format that I use when creating Blu-ray discs. I use Authoring Works 6(Newer version is Authoring Works 7). When I create Blu-ray discs in Authoring Works, the program does not reincode the video. No quality loss. My videos are also AVCHD H.264. Premiere creates a separate video and audio file. Authoring Works can combine(Multiplexing) the two files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Blu-ray supports MPEG-2 a.k.a. H.262, AVC a.k.a. H.264 and AV1. Both AV1 and AVC are up to 2x more efficient than MPEG-2, but are more CPU-intensive. If all you do with your videos is just straight slicing and joining of the clips, then you may want to investigate whether Premiere Pro can output video without re-encoding, or with minimal re-encoding at cut points.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Blu-ray supports MPEG-2 a.k.a. H.262, AVC a.k.a. H.264 and AV1. Both AV1 and AVC are up to 2x more efficient than MPEG-2, but are more CPU-intensive.
    AV1 is not supported by blu-ray ; VC-1 is supported by blu-ray

If all you do with your videos is just straight slicing and joining of the clips, then you may want to investigate whether Premiere Pro can output video without re-encoding, or with minimal re-encoding at cut points.
    PP cannot for AVCHD without 3rd party plugins
    Quote Quote