VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all hope you can help. I want to get the most out of my new Samsung 49" 8070 4K TV

4K tv. I have some 4K videos that I want to encode to get the most out of my TV. However I'm struggling to find the best encoding as either the audio or video isn't supported or a combination of both. This is what my TV codec supports:

(see pictures in attachments)

I'm using Handbrake to encode my videos and although it has most options for video its hard to encode the audio as my TV no longer supports DTS codecs and handbrake doesn't seem to give you the option to convert DTS to Dolby Digital.

What would be you recommended encoding software for my videos and which settings would you choose?

Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tv codec spec.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	48106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tv codec spec 2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	48107  

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Morganator101 View Post
    handbrake doesn't seem to give you the option to convert DTS to Dolby Digital.
    It does. HandBrake calls Dolby Digital "AC3".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah ok thanks for clarifying. So even if the original video source is 5.1 DTS by selecting the codec as AC3 it will convert from a DTS?

Also which is better AC£ or AC££ passthru?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Morganator101 View Post
    So even if the original video source is 5.1 DTS by selecting the codec as AC3 it will convert from a DTS?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by Morganator101 View Post
    Also which is better AC£ or AC££ passthru?
    "Passthru" is only for when you have the input codec the same as your output codec (*). E.g. if your input file has AC3 audio and you want AC3 audio as output you choose "AC3 passthru". If you choose "AC3" the input will be decoded to raw audio, then encoded to AC3 again. That's a waste of time and quality.

(*) In the "Selection behavior" menu (in "Audio" tab) you can set HandBrake so it automatically sets "Auto passthru" and then only passes through AC3 audio but converts e.g. DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Brilliant thanks, so being a DTS source and me selecting a codec of AC3 means the end audio codec is AC3.

Last thing. It supports HVEC which I understand as H.265? If so my version tv is a 10-bit tv but when encoding in 10-bit 264 it didn't support it.

Would these audio settings be ok also:

Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	audio codec.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	48108  

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Morganator101 View Post
    It supports HEVC which I understand as H.265?
    Correct.

If so my version tv is a 10-bit tv but when encoding in 10-bit 264 it didn't support it.
    Yes, lots of TVs support 10 bit HEVC/H.265 but not 10 bit AVC/H.264. 10 bit only really started playing a role for consumers with the advent of HEVC+4K+HDR.

Would these audio settings be ok also:
    Is the source really 44.1 kHz? Most Movie/TV stuff is 48 kHz.
    "Dolby Surround" mixing is not recommend, usually. Either use "5.1 Channels" if you want to preserve multi-channel audio from the source or "Stereo" if you are fine with 2 channels. If you go multi-channel I would recommend 640K bitrate for high quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Leave the sample rate as 48, the same as the source
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can keep your samplerate as "original", no need for 44.1
    HEVC would give you a bit better quality at a lower bitrate but it is slower to encode than h264/x264
    and yes your TV will most likely play "10-bit HEVC" even if it doesn't play "10-bit H264"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you everyone for your inputs greatly appreciate them. Ill feedback with my results. The aim is once I find the best codecs I'll apply them to all 4k videos.

Last observation, The source file was 16.2gb but after conversion its only 5gb. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a massive drop in gb, surely a lot of quality loss has occurred during the encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a massive drop in gb, surely a lot of quality loss has occurred during the encoding?
    Perceived quality isn't the same as information loss.
    When using lossy compression, information is always lost.
    While applying video filters, which change the image, information is lost.
    But both steps might not change or even improve the perceived quality.
    -> whether or not you lost perceived quality can only be decided by ourself.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi so update on this, the audio issue is fixed however the video pixelates quite badly. The tv see's the file as 3840x2160 H264.

The file size after re encoding is 5.9GB from the source file of 17.9GB.

What I cant get my head around is all I'm doing is changing the codec to one that the TV supports but still obtaining the 3840x2160 resolution. I'm by no means an expert but surely if the resolution is the same as source, why am I seeing pixilation on the re encoded video? Also why is their such a massive drop in file size. I would have classed a couple of GB as acceptable but not nearly 12GB!

Just frustrating as I want to retain the source quality but re encode the sound to support the tv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can either:
    1. Only re-encode the audio but copy the video. HandBrake doesn't support this but e.g. BOX4 does.
    2. You can reduce the quality loss by sliding the "RF" slider in HandBrake's "Video" tab (for x264 or x265) further to the right, e.g. to value 18.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To encode just the audio and leave the video as is, try Avidemux.
    On the left, leave video as "copy". Change audio to ac3 (lav).

If you want to downmix to stereo, hit "configure" and select bitrate 224 and in "filters" select remix - stereo

If you you wish to maintain 5:1 or better original audio, choose "configure" set bitrate to 448

Set "output format" to either mp4 or mkv muxer,which ever your TV prefers.

Save the file, should only take a few minutes
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You can either:
    1. Only re-encode the audio but copy the video. HandBrake doesn't support this but e.g. BOX4 does.
    2. You can reduce the quality loss by sliding the "RF" slider in HandBrake's "Video" tab (for x264 or x265) further to the right, e.g. to value 18.

Thanks for option 1. once I load the file how do I make the audio adjustments without effecting video?

and option 2 if im going for h.265 10 bit, my source file was 23.976 fps, so would I keep this the same or go for 60fps with the RF slider to value 18?

Thanks
    Last edited by Morganator101; 17th Feb 2019 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
  15. As for playback. The TV is usb 2.0 I use a powered external HDD which is 2.0 externally mains powered. Some videos work fine throughout, some files after 5 mins will pause then speed up to catch up and some videos just crash completely. Although usb 3.0 devices wont improve this as the tv usb port is 2.0 would a higher rpm HDD solve this issue?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for playback. The TV is usb 2.0 I use a powered external HDD which is 2.0 externally mains powered. Some videos work fine throughout, some files after 5 mins will pause then speed up to catch up and some videos just crash completely. Although usb 3.0 devices wont improve this as the tv usb port is 2.0 would a higher rpm HDD solve this issue?

Thanks
    I think your barking up the wrong tree. Unless the drive has a fault. You could attach the drive to the PC and run chkdsk.
    This will find and fix any faults in the file system.
    You can also download the manufacturers utility to check the drive for hardware errors.
    Any USB2 drive should be able to transfer files to keep up with the typical streaming movie.
    The USB2 drive I have can transfer at about 28 MB/s that's fast enough to satisfy most if not all
    videos
    Quote Quote  
  17. Update guys finally cracked it! both editing just the audio for videos that worked and handbrake setting for video formats that didn't work have solved my issues!

Here are the ideal codecs that worked for my tv:

h.265 10-bit, same as source fps, 3840x2160 main 10

quality RF value 18

ac3 5.1 bitrate 448 sample rate to auto

Thanks for all your help!!
    Quote Quote