VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive been reading that using MadVR with MPC (K-Lite) is better than using the default LAV decoders for upscaling non 1080p content , Im using DXVA (native2) - is this true?

heres my LAV settings:

can anyone inform me otherwise? or give me the best advice on what too use>?

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. LAV and madVR work together just fine. LAV will try to send the unaltered picture to madVR and let madVR do any upscaling. It makes no difference whether you install LAV yourself, use the one coming with MPC-HC or the one from a codec pack. They are essentially identical.

With some drivers DXVA2 (native) can reduce the quality in certain cases. Switch to DXVA2 (copy-back) or pure software decoding if you want to avoid that risk.
    Last edited by sneaker; 17th Mar 2016 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the quick reply - so would you recommend using MadVR if I watch a lot of 480p and 720p on a 1080p set?

if so is it easy too use? ive also read that video card decoding is NEVER as good as software decoding in terms of PQ...is this true?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    thanks for the quick reply - so would you recommend using MadVR if I watch a lot of 480p and 720p on a 1080p set?

if so is it easy too use?
    madVR is good but it has a lot of different options to improve scaling quality. Not easy for beginners if you deviate from the defaults.

Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    ive also read that video card decoding is NEVER as good as software decoding in terms of PQ...is this true?
    That is wrong. Video decoding standards like H.264 or HEVC are very specific about the decoding process, every decoder should ouput 100% exactly the same quality. (with the exception I mentioned in my other post due to driver/software limitations)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Watching this thread
    I tried mad vr, last year and did not seen big improvements, maybe I was using it wrong
    I really saw very little difference
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Watching this thread
    I tried mad vr, last year and did not seen big improvements, maybe I was using it wrong
    but werent you watching BluRay 1080p sources? in which case NO upscaling takes place and therefore NO difference in PQ - Ive seen a test set and could clearly see the difference, finer/smaller macroblocks possibly giving better edge sharpening

I using Windows 10 - MPC-HT from K-Lite Megapack on its default settings....im quite savvy with these sort of things, would be willing to give it a try
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's normal, most people will not see much of a - or any - difference. It's for videophiles.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    but werent you watching BluRay 1080p sources? in which case NO upscaling takes place
    That is not true. All consumer formats use chroma-subsampling. On a BluRay the luma plane is 1920x1080 but the chroma planes are only 960x540. madVR will upscale the chroma planes to 1920x1080, if wanted apply additional filters, convert to rgb and then dither the result to the output depth.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Iam a Videophile (mediocre - know more than retail sellers put it that way lol as I used to work in a top UK Electronics/TV store and couldnt believe the crap they come out with AND stuff they didn't know) and I know what too look for... ive seen test sets below which show MadVR showing finer macroblocks resulting in better sharpening and probably finer edge sharpening etc

do you have to install the 32-it version of K-Lite?

Quote Quote  
  10. madVR is available in both 32 and 64 bit. (The official madVR package always includes both versions.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. when i installed it, there was no option of 64 or 32 bit~>?

as ive read somewhere else it only works on 32-bit ive installed 32-bit MPC-HC itself - im going off the official install guide
    Quote Quote  
  12. The install.bat automatically installs both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. The information that you need to use a 32 bit player is outdated.
    Quote Quote  
  13. oh ok....damn lost the installation page...too many Tabs open and closed browser...you couldnt guide me to the correct page..i cant find it in history...Chrome history is terrible
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know what guide you are talking about. Just download the madvr package, extract it where you want it installed, right-click "install.bat"->"Run as administrator". Then select madVR in the output options of MPC-HC. That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. im using this guide which tells me to do more than that>?
    http://juan2geek.com/media-player-classic-home-cinema-mpc-hc-and-madvr-setting/
    Quote Quote  
  16. That guide is horrible, don't use it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ok thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. well i have to say MadVR is excellent really pleased i come across it - ive played around with the settings...just sharpness etc for now and it doesnt half make a difference, much better than built in scaling or others scaling and sharpening, im watching New Jack City 720p @ 2Mbps full screen and its as sharp as The Hobbit movies (which are the sharpest ive seen...probably cos they where shot with 10K's worth of resolution (2 x 5K RED EPICS for 3D)

my next project is to put this through a Frame Interpolation Program so I can get no motion judder, I had one that worked fine, but next time i tried it it struggled and I have an Ivy-Bridge i5 @ 3.6Ghz with 8Gb RAM and GTX 650 (386 cores / 1.1Ghz / 5Ghz DDR5 /128-Bit)

can anyone suggest a program or method that can do this for me as my TV is an old LG32LH5000 and doesnt have FIP

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. madVR can reduce judder somewhat It can switch the output framerate to match display and source content ("devices">"display modes") and it has a smooth motion option. (Under "rendering").

If that is not enough for you try SmoothVideo Project.
    Quote Quote  
  20. yeah it was SmoothVideoProject that seemed to struggle with 1080p files on my system...

ive decided to uninstall MadVR as it has my GPU maxing out and the fans going crazy...weird cos its suitable for this sort of venture I would pf thought (Gigabyte GTX650)
    Quote Quote  
  21. madVR has a lot of different filter and scaling options which differ drastically in terms of required performance. Even if not much performance is needed there may be something triggering the GPU driver to max all clocks. I don't have Nvidia so I can't help you further.
    Quote Quote  
  22. ok thanks - all i did was add sharpness which shouldnt really max out a GPU - its probably the scaling

so back to default x64 K-Lite and MPC and LAV

thanks anyway
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    ok thanks - all i did was add sharpness which shouldnt really max out a GPU - its probably the scaling
    How about turning sharpening off and testing again? Seems more straight-forward than guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Watching this thread
    but werent you watching BluRay 1080p sources? in which case NO upscaling takes place and therefore NO difference in PQ - Ive seen a test set and could clearly see the difference, finer/smaller macroblocks possibly giving better edge sharpening

I using Windows 10 - MPC-HT from K-Lite Megapack on its default settings....im quite savvy with these sort of things, would be willing to give it a try
    Nope..
    I was watching some old 4:3 640*480 video
    Not sure I have ever made a comment regarding mad vr

I too have see those macro block samples, that's why I tried it
    But I did not get the same results
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by snadge View Post
    im using this guide which tells me to do more than that>?
    http://juan2geek.com/media-player-classic-home-cinema-mpc-hc-and-madvr-setting/
    This is THE WORST guide for madVR. DO NOT USE IT. Guy did almost everything wrong.

I know, it is a bit old tread but I had to point this out.
    Quote Quote  
  26. by setting madvr as the "Directshow video" in MPC-HC, there's a weird problem of not being able to load srt files on a video! which I think I didn't have at first.
    after adding an srt to the vidoe being played, the error "cannot render file" appears as if it is being loaded as a separate file.
    any help would be appreciated to fix this.
    Quote Quote  
  27. In MPC-HC's "Output" settings (same page where you set to use madvr) select "Internal Subtitle Renderer" as the subtitle renderer. The setting can change when you switch video renderers because not all of them support all subtitle renderers.
    Quote Quote