VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Looking for a recorder that will include the caption stream so that recorder DVD's have captioning. I understand home movies have no captioning. Strictly talking shows recorded for later viewing.

Suggestions please?

Is there a hack for this? Currently have a Liteon LVW-5005 that I like except for this feature. I have a deaf daughter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. All dvd recorders, except for perhaps Apex, that I know of copy CC signal with the resulting captions on your copy too.

You'd have to over come macrovision if you're using them to copy.

Why don't you just copy your dvds with dvdshrink on your computer? You have captions that way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. abcweb, I don't know about other DVD recorders but out of curiosity awhile back I tested CC recording on a Panasonic E55. It will record CC data on DVD-RAM discs. Sorry, I forgot to check DVD-R recordings. The only CC issue I noticed is that if I bring a Panasonic DVD-RAM recording into the PC and reauthor with TMPGEnc DVD Author, I lose the CC data on the new disc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read that the closed captioning only works when connected via 480i and not with 480p. That may be the issue you're having with your recorder. My Pioneer records the captions just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    I've read that the closed captioning only works when connected via 480i and not with 480p. That may be the issue you're having with your recorder. My Pioneer records the captions just fine.
    This is correct. That's why most commercial DVD's have subtitles. If playing back cc encoded DVD's thru 480p or upconverted, can choose subtitles to pretty much get the same effect as 480i where cc can be seen activating cc on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can cofirm that Pioneer DVR-210 and DVR-65H do record CC signal with A/V material taped off TV. The same probably goes for other Pioneer models, but I do own these two machines so I can confirm this with 100% confidence. My recorders are connected to TV via s-video input and everything works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks All for the advice.

I believe I am connected using 480i and will double check that. My current DVR a Liteon LVW-5005 does not support CC, got that info straight from them after I purchased the unit. Too bad because except for that I love the unit. Trying to get them to take it back and refund the purchase price so I can replace it with a Pioneer.

Bill
    Quote Quote