VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically, what i want to do is make 2 video fragments display like this:

Or like this:

I heard FFmpeg can do this, but i can't find a good GUI that provides this utility and the command window is too confusing to use.

I would prefer free software instead of those limited/watermarked softwares.

Tried Avanti but it doesn't seem to be able to do that. I also tried other FFmpeg GUIs that were better but they weren't free and had trial/watermark limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Very easily accomplished in FFmpeg. Where input0 and input1 are your two sources, and output is the output file, to stack vertically:
    ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -filter_complex vstack output
    To stack horizontally:
    ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -filter_complex hstack output
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Very easily accomplished in FFmpeg. Where input0 and input1 are your two sources, and output is the output file, to stack vertically:
    ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -filter_complex vstack output
    To stack horizontally:
    ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -filter_complex hstack output
    Ah, that's wonderful.

But...is there a way to make FFMPEG not normalize the Frames-per-second?

I have 2 videos, 1 in 60FPS thanks to SVP and one at normal 24~30FPS.

If put them side-by-side via FFMPEG, it will end as a 24~30fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You can add the -r option after the inputs to force an output frame rate, e.g.

ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -r 60 -filter_complex vstack output

This will preserve your 60 fps and duplicate frames as necessary in the other video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is also easily done in any multi-track video editor. A good free one is Aviutl. You can also do it easily with Avisynth, then feed the script to your media player for preview or encoder for encoding.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You can add the -r option after the inputs to force an output frame rate, e.g.

ffmpeg -i input0 -i input1 -r 60 -filter_complex vstack output

This will preserve your 60 fps and duplicate frames as necessary in the other video.
    Um, is there a way to keep only 1 in 60 FPS in ffmpeg? Because the whole reason i want to put a video side-by-side is to show the difference between frame interpolation and normal video.

Even more, using that will make 1 of the 2 videos "freeze".

Speaking of the -r 60 line, is it the same as SVP? I found that interesting.

Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    This is also easily done in any multi-track video editor. A good free one is Aviutl. You can also do it easily with Avisynth, then feed the script to your media player for preview or encoder for encoding.
    That Aviult looks interesting.

Is there a way to "fully" download this software?

Because it seems that while installing it requires many things, and the installer caps the downloading speed at 8~15 KBPS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My editing system isn't connected to web, so I'm still using Aviutl version 1.10. It's a self-contained portable version. Just create a new project at half the size and at the highest framerate. In your case it will be 60 fps. Then drag each video clip to a different layer and resize via Zoom @ 50%. Then move each one into position. Then render out...
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    My editing system isn't connected to web, so I'm still using Aviutl version 1.10. It's a self-contained portable version. Just create a new project at half the size and at the highest framerate. In your case it will be 60 fps. Then drag each video clip to a different layer and resize via Zoom @ 50%. Then move each one into position. Then render out...
    When you install it for the same time it ask to install many things, at an awfully slow speed.

Either way, after 2 hours waiting it finally installed.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way i can "crop" the "canvas" once i got the correct size so no black parts are left?

2. When i set the FPS after adding a video, will it affect the second one? Because it only asks once, at the start of the project and the result seem to be 2 videos at the exact same framerate.

I wanted to learn how to do so in FFMPEG, but it seems it cannot do what i ask. Oh well.
    Last edited by Unknown01; 17th Jan 2016 at 17:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. [QUOTE=Unknown01;2428579]
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I wanted to learn how to do so in FFMPEG, but it seems it cannot do what i ask. Oh well.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Create%20a%20mosaic%20out%20of%20several%20input%20videos
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Unknown01

A video can only have one frame rate. If you combine two clips with different frame rates, one will have to be adjusted to match.

If you want to show the difference between a 24 fps clip and a 60 fps interpolated clip, you still need to convert the 24 fps clip into 60 fps, but do it without using interpolation (just plain duplicated frames).
    Quote Quote