VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,

I've got an MP4 Video here that cannot be opened by any of the following programs:
    VidCutter, HandBrake, vlc

I recorded this by using iFun Screen Recorder in h264 and even this cannot open it.
    Other recordings work as they should. This one might have not been saved correctly maybe because there was not sufficient space to go on recording.

I have tried opening it in vlc by converting/saving it without any luck.
    Wondershare Repairit as well cannot repair it.

Do I have a chance to recover it and if so how ?

Thank you for reading in any case.
    Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Analyze it with mediainfo and post the result here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello,

Text View is showing just this here:

Code:
    General
    CompleteName                     : \\VUSOLO2\Harddisk\Videomitschnitte\20210429_150404.MP4
    Format/String                    : MPEG-4
    Format_Profile                   : Base Media
    CodecID/String                   : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    FileSize/String                  : 10.4 GiB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, here we go:
    Analyze analyze (-a) shows me this:
    Error
    no 'moov' atom found
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dxellas View Post
    Ok, here we go:
    Analyze analyze (-a) shows me this:
    Error
    no 'moov' atom found
    Have you used an working template?
    Quote Quote  
  6. What do you mean by working template ? I have just started untrunc-gui and loaded the file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dxellas View Post
    What do you mean by working template ? I have just started untrunc-gui and loaded the file.
    untrunc is usually used to fix camera files.

You're supposed to supply a known good file from the same device, as ProWo implied, and the program
    will attempt to reconstruct the damaged file using information from the good file
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can try recover_mp4:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/recover-mp4-to-h264

It's a command line tool. You need to extract valid metadata from a sample file (a video recorded with the same settings as the corrupted one). Then extract video/audio streams from the corrupted file. And then save these to a new file. Here you can find a more detailed guide on how to use the tool (see method 2):
    https://restore.media/blog/how-to-fix-corrupted-mp4-files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What do you mean by working template ? I have just started untrunc-gui and loaded the file.
    untrunc is usually used to fix camera files.

You're supposed to supply a known good file from the same device, as ProWo implied, and the program
    will attempt to reconstruct the damaged file using information from the good file

Well luckily I have at least another file of same type made by iFun Screen Recorder.
    So in the tab called Repair I put one of these files as a reference file and the damaged file as truncated file.

This is what I got after pushing the Repair button:

The fixed file works indeed but the sound and picture is asynchronous. It seems that the picture is constantly some seconds too late compared to the sound.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untrunc.PNG
Views:	101
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	58748  

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TomLes View Post
    You can try recover_mp4:

It's a command line tool. You need to extract valid metadata from a sample file (a video recorded with the same settings as the corrupted one). Then extract video/audio streams from the corrupted file. And then save these to a new file. Here you can find a more detailed guide on how to use the tool (see method 2):
    Thank you very much for that recommendation.
    Do you think after the success with untrunc I would have better chances to get synchronous audio and video by using this tool since both are saved separately ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dxellas View Post
    The fixed file works indeed but the sound and picture is asynchronous. It seems that the picture is constantly some seconds too late compared to the sound.
    Find the correct delay with g.e. VLC Player, then remux your video with the correct delay.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok. Additionally I have a further question:
    Which program would be ideal to show separate tracks for picture and sound so that I could try moving the sound in small steps back and see instantly the result before saving the complete file ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TomLes View Post
    You can try recover_mp4:

Thank you very much for that recommendation.
    Do you think after the success with untrunc I would have better chances to get synchronous audio and video by using this tool since both are saved separately ?
    Not sure. Some screen capture software record video at variable frame rates. If this is the case, I think it will be extremely hard (if possible) to sync video and audio streams, regardless of the sample file you use.
    Quote Quote