VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

A friend told me his Asus S56CB-XO477H from 2013 is "broken". I don't know yet if the hard drive died, but if that's the case, what new Windows laptop would you recommend for $500-800, for office use and light video editing (eg. slicing and joining parts) ?

He says he has no need for a DVD drive, which few laptops seem to have these days anyway.

For reference, that laptop is powered by an Intel Core i5-3317U CPU (Dual-Core 1.7 GHz / 2.6 GHz Turbo - Cache L3 3 MB), has 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a mate monitor, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM graphic chip, and runs Windows 8.

Thank you.
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 4th Aug 2019 at 07:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For '$500-800' you might look into a refurbished laptop. You may not find much of anything useful in new laptops for those prices.
    Check Amazon or similar retailers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Is not your question, but don't be very fast in throwing out your HD,
    it maybe very much alive and your data still there, your computer may died from another cause.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's just the hard drive died then buy a new solid state drive (SSD) and re-install Windows etc. Up and flying for probably well under £200.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Newbie Enthusiast PixelHunter's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    For '$500-800' you might look into a refurbished laptop. You may not find much of anything useful in new laptops for those prices.
    Check Amazon or similar retailers.
    I agree. I use a refurbished HP Envy 15 Quad Core with Windows 10 Pro and 16GB RAM and can edit almost any video without it taking too long or slowing the system down noticeably. In fact, I have run three video editors simultaneously and the drop in performance was not that bad. A higher spec, refurbed machine can often be a better investment than a new, budget laptop.

And any business applications should run fine as well.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the tips.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Newbie Enthusiast PixelHunter's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
    Thanks for the tips.
    Life is a steep learning curve, we all need to help each other.
    Quote Quote