VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm splitting lots of clips from a large sports game video.
    Each clip needs a descriptive & meaningful name.

The problem with most programs I've tried...is that they only let you split clips from a video.
    Once you load the export job, then you have to name them manually or it will add random numerical file names.

I need to name the clip - during the editing phase - right after I add the split points.
    That's because there will be lots of clips, and I can't memorize each clips name or purpose for later.

Does anyone know of any program that can help me?
    Last edited by MishaPrada; 11th Apr 2019 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most editing software you can mark in and out points, then go to render as and export the marked segment to any name you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    most editing software you can mark in and out points, then go to render as and export the marked segment to any name you want.
    I think Premiere Pro works the way you described. But if I understand that method correctly, you have to then immediately export the "marked" clip & name it at export screen. You can't queue up multiple clips for a single export job (with clip names retained).

That's very time consuming...for my workflow. One at a time, waiting for export, then next clip, etc.

If I can be more specific about my workflow...i have a long 2 hour match video. I am splitting up to 100 key moments or plays.

When I identify one of those moments and set the split points...thats when I want to name that individual clip. Then proceed to creating the next clip. And when I export all the clips at once, all the custom clip names should be retained.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't help with what you want. it's not how any video editing software i've used works.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MishaPrada View Post
    I think Premiere Pro works the way you described. But if I understand that method correctly, you have to then immediately export the "marked" clip & name it at export screen. You can't queue up multiple clips for a single export job (with clip names retained).
    Sure you can. Mark your in and out, save it as a subclip, rename your subclip. -- Rinse and repeat -- select all your renamed subclips and export.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by MishaPrada View Post
    Sure you can. Mark your in and out, save it as a subclip, rename your subclip. -- Rinse and repeat -- select all your renamed subclips and export.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out this week.

Last night, I used SolveigMM.
    Marked the split points to define a clip, right clicked in-between the clip, chose "Save selected as", then named & saved.
    The tedious part was waiting for the save to finish (which interrupts train of thought as you're analyzing video).
    But it was much faster than using my previous app "TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5".
    Quote Quote