VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with Noise Reduction in Audacity to clean my tracks but am still encountering the tinny after effects or a noticeable noise spike when I am speaking after I have cleaned the empty sections of the audio. I saw on a previous post that EQ (I assume the Equalizer?) option has some sort of method for cleaning that could be better than NR?

I recorded the track twice, once with my Mic to Mixer to PC, then from my Mic to Zoom H4N then transfer of SD card to PC:

Mic: Audio-Technica ART2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/ELR Mic
    Mixer: Behringer XENYX 302USB

Any ideas on how I should go about cleaning? I've been trying to do NR multiple times after Normalizing to -3db, with settings:
    NR: 15 db
    Sensitivity: 24
    Frequency smoothing (bands): 6

I arrived at those numbers after running it a few times and seeing that those so far have gotten the best results, but I know this also comes down to my lack of knowledge of the options available.

Attached are the raw audios.

Thank you for your help!!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    For one thing, it would help if you recorded hotter levels. Unless you are doing something really dynamic, like acting a part, you should aim your peaks at -12 dBFS. That will give you 20 dB more signal over your noise floor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your input levels are too low. This will give you headaches during editing if you try to get the levels up, as you'll bring also the noise floor up.

A JV said, re-record with hotter levels, your waveform should be as full as possible without looking like a square. Your mic and audio mixer are fine, it's just a matter of good configuration of your input levels.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both!! My biggest annoyance was seeing that exactly, fearing the normalization as my noise would explode.

Got it, will record hotter and see how it comes in, very glad to hear its not a mic/mixer issue.

Thank you for the quick replies! I really appreciate the help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    Thank you both!! My biggest annoyance was seeing that exactly, fearing the normalization as my noise would explode.

Got it, will record hotter and see how it comes in, very glad to hear its not a mic/mixer issue.

Thank you for the quick replies! I really appreciate the help.
    Ideally you should maximize signal at the input of ADC to 0dBFS to fully use ADC resolution - every 6dB bellow 0dBFS is 1 bit loss - so if you for example digitalizing audio with -24dBFS peak to peak then you loosing 4 bits. This is waste and you should adjust your analogue signal level to point where peak signal is no lower than -12dBFS - helpful can be meter with average and peak input signal signalization.
    IMHO normalization in digital domain is too late for anything useful except preventing clipping at the DAC side (then -3.103 dBFS is OK).
    Quote Quote