VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a set of dvd's thatare of a tv show , the disk contains 8 episodes per vob file and the disk has 4 vob files . the issue im having when im ripping them . the disc audio is in Japanese and has multiple subtitles . I can rip the into any format but once I do all of the subtitles are to the far right and the subtitles are huge. I have been trying to use SEedit and dvdsubedit ,but I cant make these subtitles to work . when I play them from the dvd they are fine ,only when I rip and convert the subtitles are off by a mile .
    what I need is a plan on either how to rip and convert the vob into separate mkv for each episode with subtitles . I have tried x media recode,avs video editor and dvd decryptor and handbrake .can anyone help me figure a solution on how to rip the episodes with working subtitles cause im lost without a solution.

avs and hand brake do not see the idx subtitles for me to edit
    Quote Quote  
  2. What resolution are the VOBs? I've heard of subs doing that with DVDs originally 352x480/576 instead of the much more common 720x480/576.

You could always OCR the subs and use text-based subs in your MKVs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Edit:
    Didn't realize you talking about wrong displayed subtitles after encoding
    Last edited by roma_turok; 4th Jun 2014 at 05:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What resolution are the VOBs? I've heard of subs doing that with DVDs originally 352x480/576 instead of the much more common 720x480/576.

You could always OCR the subs and use text-based subs in your MKVs.

yup this 352x480 is the resolution , issue im having is that these dvd's have 291 episodes combind , that a lot of time to do ocr . i tried that once . i ripped the dvd , then i ripped the subs off one vob using ocr and made a srt. but i tried xmedia recode and avs and could not add them back ...any suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    You can keep the subtitles as idx+sub pairs, and even mux them in Matroska files,
    there is no need to convert them IMHO.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by shadowfire36 View Post
    any suggestions
    Possibly. Extract the VobSubs, open the IDX, and change it from 352x480 to 704/720x480. You may be able to do the same in BDSup2Sub. But, not having any subs for that resolution I can't test out either suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ VSRip deals correctly with half-D1 DVDs --- that is, the IDX file already says:

Code:
    # Original frame size
    size: 704x480
    Apparently the applications tried by the OP still have that infamous half-D1 subpicture bug
    {which was fixed in Mplayer (and later in LAV Video) many moons ago}.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!