VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Question: Most of the threads on this forum related to time-shifting TV programing mention that it is for one-use or single-view period...once you watch the time shifted program you are supposed to delete the program. Now that Tivo is supporting the burning and portability of a time-shifted program I would think that many more people will archive programs now that they will have the ability which is contrary to the interpretation of single-view. What do you think?

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3453421

TiVo (Quote, Chart) launched a new initiative Monday that lets customers transfer shows from its DVRs to a Windows-based desktop, media player, laptop or other portable device.

The service, dubbed "TiVoToGo" is available through the company's networked TiVo Series2 DVRs and is automatically included with a paid subscription. The service is rolling out via TiVo's latest update (version 7.1-X) and also requires the latest version of its free TiVo Desktop as well as an appropriate codec (define) and Media Access Key.

The long-awaited launch fits in with the company's vision of taking downloaded content outside of the living room. While the service is originally slated for its own networks, TiVo said it would eventually like to make the service available over the general Internet.

"Portability is a key desire for TiVo subscribers," David Sandford, director of technology and licensing business at TiVo, said in a statement. "TiVoToGo enables the secure transfer of broadcast content from a TiVo box to a personal media player and allows consumers to enjoy their TV shows anywhere, in the living room, on a plane, or in a hotel."

Transfer times will vary depending on the quality setting for the recording on the TiVo box and the speed of the network connection, the company said, and several shows could also be set for transfer at one time.

The company said DVD Recorders licensed with TiVo technology such as Humax, Pioneer and Toshiba models do not have TiVoToGo capabilities but that should change soon. The company also said DIRECTV DVRs with TiVo are not TiVoToGo compatible.

The PC or portable device that receives the content needs to be running Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP and powered by at least a 233 MHz processor with 128 MB RAM, 25 MB free disk space for TiVo Desktop installation and enough free disk space for transferred shows - at least 500MB.

TiVo said customers will eventually be able to burn their TiVo-To-Go transfers to DVD, courtesy of the purchase of Sonic Solutions MyDVD software. TiVo said it is offering a free trial to a downloadable version of Sonic MyDVD later this month and will update customers when the full version comes out if they sign up for an e-mail alert.

TiVo said its transfers are legal when used for personal, non-commercial use. The company said it has taken deliberate steps to protect the content and will cancel a subscription and even take legal action if it finds a customer in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

TiVo is expected to highlight the new service during this week's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
    No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What! No DirecTV Tivos? That's strange, they also have a USB port on the back. Damn and I thougt I had another reason to switch to DirecTV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just buy a series 2 stand alone unit and connect it to your satellite receiver. The only downside is that directivo records directly from the satellite stream and has a better quality picture than the tivo stand alone units that have to convert the image before storing it on the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by c_hernandez32
    What! No DirecTV Tivos? That's strange, they also have a USB port on the back. Damn and I thougt I had another reason to switch to DirecTV.
    No surprise. DTV just doesn't want its subscribers to create digital copies of their money sources. It's not an engineering issue but a business issue.

hiro
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Related to this. There is a discussion on the Tivo Community forums to convert the .TIVO to regular burnable MPG2 with tmpgenc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just hope they find a way to conver .tivo --> DivX/Xvid so I can put it on my ARCHOS
    Quote Quote