VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Oracle Vs. Google : A Battle of One Billion Dollars

Oracle has filed suit against Google for infringing on copyrights and patents related to Java, which Oracle acquired along with Sun Microsystems earlier this year. The terse release claimed Google "knowingly, directly and repeatedly infringed Oracle's Java-related intellectual property."

Google copied Java code

Google decided to make Java central Android

A copy of the complaint (Copy of Complaint -Final), which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, says that "Android (including without limitation the Dalvik VM and the Android software development kit) and devices that operate Android infringe one or more claims of each of United States Patents Nos. 6,125,447; 6,192,476; 5,966,702; 7,426,720; RE38,104; 6,910,205; and 6,061,520."

Oracle has claimed in a $1bn (£621m) action that Google's use of Java in its Android operating system should have been done under license. Google claims that the Java programming language is free and that there is no case to answer.

As far as we know JAVA was free for use, but never released under GNU-GPL or Open Source.

Any way, The Dark Empire of Google grown up either by stealing, cheating, or sucking the other codes (Google Summer Codes and OpenSource.). We are the ones who provided all the opportunities to grow Dark Empire.

Just, serious...Not kidding....
    Google owes me $92.87, I have a valid proof. (Not just only me, but thousands of people in this universe.)
    Plus I have a proof of Google's infringement to my privacy and stealing data from my computer, I have proof also!
    (Not just only me, but thousands of people in this universe.)
    Can not we get together to sue Google for One Trillions Dollars soon....if so, sooner Larry Page and Sergey Brin will be found on Mountain View, Californian Streets with empty bowls in hands!, or might be asking Zuckerberg for handsome loan!. He is so friendly and cute, probably he will not deny.
    :LOL:

Some Development:-
    1) The judge (who took 50 grands undertable and promised Google for favor - not sure) passes the case to another judge, as he can not decide. I doubt his ability for being a judge.
    2) The Google is corrupting Linux Kerenel by merging Android (BuGGY) codes into Linux Kernel. An attempt to give back rotten apple.

The Only Solution to all these is...
    JUST KEEP THE GOOGLE FAR AWAY.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 23rd Apr 2012 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    As far as we know JAVA was free for use, but never released under GNU-GPL or Open Source.

Any way, The Dark Empire of Google grown up either by stealing, cheating, or sucking the other codes (Google Summer Codes and OpenSource.). We are the ones who provided all the opportunities to grow Dark Empire.
    Google has a solid argument. It's up to a judge and possibly (shudder) a jury filled with technological morons to decide though.

No one held a gun to anybody's head to force them to participate in the Summer of Code. And you are indeed to allowed to use and modify Open Source as long as you give back what you do with it.

As far as your "developments" go, #1 is a very serious and unsubstantiated charge that, if true, could lead to jail time for a judge dumb enough to get bought AND caught. #2 is just FUD bs.

I've seen turds with more substance than this post.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @jman98

I have nothing against you, but be clear it not my "developments", it is Google's ""developments"" or Google already "Developed".
    Mine is a simple statememnt of openion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This seems to be the "in" thing at the moment. Why release new and innovative products, when you can make lots of money by suing over every petty little infringment.

Software companies have been "borrowing" each others' ideas for decades, Java itself wouldn't exist if it wasn't for languages like C or C++.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Software companies have been "borrowing" each others' ideas for decades, Java itself wouldn't exist if it wasn't for languages like C or C++.
    -agreed.
    The Ideas, but, not the codes as is. Is not this one a clear example of utilization of codes "AS-IS" for commercial purposes?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to catch the horse after its bolted, again ... google use sun java and release android prior to oracle purchase of sun ... too late, forget it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Trying to catch the horse after its bolted, again ... google use sun java and release android prior to oracle purchase of sun ... too late, forget it.
    Whenever merger of two giants or technology transfer takes place, it starts from the day one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You know why those to codes look alike? Because that's pretty much how most programmers would type in a "range check"!!

If I wanted to do a Do Loop Incrementing by 1 until I got to 10. There's really only one way to do it. Especially when it's that short.

Now, if you found literally 100,000s or Millions of lines of code that were identical, even after having checked against which language was being used (different ones, I presume), then you would have something.

But what you've got there is like Bill Gates saying, "I've patented the letter 'E' and now everybody has to pay me when they use it"!

Oracle is well known for pulling this kind of stunt (and that's about all it ought to amount to). I agree with the earlier comment - those who can't seem to build on their own creativity are hell bent on resorting to lawsuits to extort profit from others.

Scott
    (I have no affiliation with either company, though I've been burned much less by Google than by any of those "other" Software giants...)

edit: BTW, it was my understanding that, being open source and all, ANYONE participating in Google Summer of Code series is able to make use of whatever code is generated from it. Including Google (the main, but not only, sponsor).
    Quote Quote  
  9. You know why those to codes look alike? Because that's pretty much how most programmers would type in a "range check"!!
    - agreed, they could have opened-up all necessary files in any good text editor and at least could have renamed arrays and variables for using the same logic.
    Normally, I always have minimum two different algorithm for same logic.
    Quote Quote