VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shrink has been my standby program for all ripping purposes, but every once in a while it has trouble with a movie and fails, with the error message "cyclic redundancy check." this is greek to me but i figure the problem has something to do with the disk i am ripping from. anyway, my question is, should i turn to another ripping program (i always hear shrink is the best) or do i need to "rescue" the information on the disk with one of those disk recovery programs? and are there any free programs that do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDShrink is far from being the best ripper, due to not being updated any more, and a number of new protections. However, it is still up there as far as its transcoding abilities go IMHO.

Normally a CRC error means a dirty disc, but more recently it could also mean one of the newer protections schemes. DVDFab Decrypter is what you need.

You can always rip with whatever program you want to your hard drive, and then use DVDShrink to transcode the files from there.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Leaving aside other possible problems, a number of newer movies have structural protection (e.g. ARccOS, Ripguard) that DVDShrink can't cope with.

Many people deal with this by ripping with DVDFabDecrypter. The problem with that is, it's often necessary to further process the decrypted files with VobBlanker or FixVTS to remove the "junk" that Fab leaves behind. Otherwise, DVDShrink will not open the files.

A better way, IMHO, is to use the PSL2 Plugin Wizard in PgcEdit. Easy, works every time.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56831

Good luck.

[EDIT] Heh, I was still typing when Jim posted. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same issue with a bakcup of mine resolved by first DVDFabDecrypter and then DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    A better way, IMHO, is to use the PSL2 Plugin Wizard in PgcEdit. Easy, works every time.
    i have used this method up until very recently, some new titles i simply cannot get it to work anymore. i get errors when it opens in pgcedit, and the whole operation fails. (i then resorted to fabdecryptor.)
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    i have used this method up until very recently, some new titles i simply cannot get it to work anymore. i get errors when it opens in pgcedit, and the whole operation fails. (i then resorted to fabdecryptor.)
    Yeah, had a look at the changelog, there have been a number of bugs recently fixed. Although I personally have never had any trouble whatever.

There's an updated installer with latest versions of all required tools here:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=58318

I guess "best" is what the user prefers which also gets the job done. If the prime requirement is something simple, you can't get any simpler than DVDFabDecrypter. In some respects, that's a drawback for the advanced user, but I won't belabor the point.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dvdshrink rocks and when used with Anydvd its almost unstoppable. Although not freeware, it's well worth the $$ to keep one step ahead of the "lame" (blank vobs, badsectors, etc) attempts to thwart the 'backup' efforts of the masses.
    Motherboard problems, not intermittant anymore!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pcbman
    Although not freeware, it's well worth the $$ to keep one step ahead of the "lame" (blank vobs, badsectors, etc) attempts to thwart the 'backup' efforts of the masses.
    But for the best freeware alternative is to use dvdfabdecrypter and then open the files in dvd shrink. The only downside is you have to rip first then shrink. And if you're low on disc space you have to make room for the full dvd first before getting the shrunk rip. But its nicer than buying software you don't have to buy
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm with pcbman here. I use AnyDVD and DVDShrink. There has not been a single DVD I haven't been able to rip (except for a damaged disc). IMO, the cost for AnyDVD is well worth it. It makes ripping and burning a two step process: 1) encode and 2) burn. I used to use DVD Decrypter, but after going to AnyDVD one step and several minutes have been eliminated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just found this thread yesterday when I had a tough one to backup...
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=303745&highlight=ultraviolet

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=RipIt4Me

It uses Decrypter, shrink and FixVTS to get the job done.

Later,
    Bob T.
    Quote Quote