VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, need to transfer some MiniDV tapes to PC... never tried that before, don't even have the camera, so need one for playback only. Which one to buy? Here's the list below some used ones I can pick from, which one to choose? From what I gather they need to have a FireWire out or USB 2.0 out (on the mobo I have Thunderbolt, found somewhere it's compatible with FireWire only needs an adapter Firewire 400 to 800 I think). Maybe since it's digital it doesn't really matter which camera to pick for playback? Thanks for any help.

Panasonic NV-GS10EG
    Samsung VP-D371
    Canon MVX-330i E
    Panasonic NV-DS55
    Canon MV830
    CANON md 101
    Sony DCR-TRV30E
    JVC GR-D30E
    SAMSUNG VP-D371W
    JVC GR-DVL150
    Panasonic nv gs500
    JVC GR-DVX4
    Panasonic NV-DS65
    Panasonic NV-GS27
    Sony DCR-HC23
    Sony DCR-HC14E
    Sony DCR-HC27E
    Panasonic NV-GS30EG
    Sony HC-62
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Get the camcorder that is in the best condition. Pay no attention to fancy features — which is everything besides playing a tape!
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can't transfer Video from a Mini DV tape using USB on the camera, the USB is for photo transfer if you have taken any.

For the video transfer you need to use firewire, and you need a capture software installed on your computer as well.

Mini DV Tape is not like video recorded to a card, it transfers in real time, so if you have a 1 hour tape with 30 minutes of recorded video on it, the transfer time is 30 minutes if you stop the recording when the video finishes.

WinDV (v1.2.3) is a good tool for capturing onto your computer.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/WinDV

You should find guides in this forum on how to set it up for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well anyway it didn't work on Win 7 tried every trick found online. I see it was a problem for many, camera not recognized. Gave up on it altogher and bought an old onfiguration with XP on and a mobo with native firewire support. The only person unhappy is going to be my wife seeing more junk brought to the house.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well in the end it worked in Win 7 as well. My FW cable was faulty, ha ha.
    Quote Quote