VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had been looking for alternative methods to upscale some videos until someone recommended that I used MeGUI. I had heard of this MeGUI as a thing but I never used it this until fairly recently. I want to do a PointResize upscaling (with nnedi3_rpow2) of a video dump but how do I do that in MeGUI? Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide? Or even a prescriptive guide on this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use VirtualDub or XMedia Recode for video upscaling and they never let me down.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tuskacz View Post
    I use VirtualDub or XMedia Recode for video upscaling and they never let me down.
    What methods do you use to upscale in those programs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    I use VirtualDub or XMedia Recode for video upscaling and they never let me down.
    The built-in filters
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    The built-in filters
    Like the resize filter? And Nearest Neighbor? What about with MeGUI? And am I better off doing an AVIScript with MeGUI?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try nnedi3_rpow2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know how you'd do a PointResize upscale with nnedi3_rpow2. The way it works is nnedi3_rpow2 doubles the width and height (or increases them by some power of two) and if that doesn't give you the required output dimensions (often you'll over-shoot), you then downscale to the required dimensions using a standard Avisynth resizer. It can be PointResize, but I don't know how you'd actually upscale with nnedi3_rpow2 and PointResize as such.

If you want to upscale with MeGUI and PointResize, open the video with the File/Open menu and follow the prompts. You'll be asked about indexing the video, so click Queue at the bottom of the window that pops up to add the job to the queue and run it. When the indexing is done the script creator should open with a preview of the video. The script creator has 3 tabs. Under the I/O tab is where you do any cropping and resizing. The Filters tab is where you select filters for de-interlacing etc, but also where you'd select Point as the resizer.
    The script tab shows you the script MeGUI will create. You can edit it manually if you know what you're doing.

Once you have everything configured to your liking, save the script. MeGUI should load it into the Video section. Configure the encoder, then add the job to the Queue.

One thing you'll need to do is tell MeGUI it's okay to upscale. It's monumentally retarded, but upscaling is disabled by default. When the script creator window opens, here's the button you need to click to enable upscaling.

[Attachment 62751 - Click to enlarge]

In the window that opens, here's the box that needs to be checked.

[Attachment 62752 - Click to enlarge]

There's something of a learning curve with Avisynth, although MeGUI is designed so you can encode with Avisynth without knowing anything about it. MeGUI probably has a bit of a learning curve too though, but hopefully that'll get you started.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is quite the learning curve but thanks for getting me started. As for NNEDI, I am wondering where to put that in the script.
    Quote Quote  
  9. nnedi3 won't get you a point resize. If you really want a point resize use PointResize().
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright. I will do that.
    Quote Quote