VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello good people

So I bought recently new laptop which is Thinkpad T490, not strictly a beast in terms of performance like gaming laptops but nevertheless, with Win10 x64 is feels an improvement in overall speed for daily tasks, application launch ect.

However I'm kind of disappointed when it comes to video conversions being done with VirtualDub.
    Let me explain: I have 2 hours-long MP4 video with some unwanted commercials there.
    I cut the commercials out in VDub and this leaves me with approx 1h:45mins of video to be exported in full processing mode as new output file.
    I use x264vfw codec and MPEG layer-3 for audio as settings.

The job takes around 2 HOURS to finish, with average 60 frames per second speed, for video of 480p quality (720x480 precisely)

is that normal? Or does it take too long in your opinion? Tbh, I was expecting greater processing speed when I moved from older HP laptop....

The system is as I mentioned Win10 x64 with Intel i5 processor.

Thanks for help.
    Last edited by tuskacz; 18th Jul 2023 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try a faster preset. If x264 is using "medium", try "faster".

You can also try (in Virtualdub) options/preferences/threading - set "video compression threads" to 1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Alternatively you may try to cut ads without recompression - for example with help of ffmpeg. Also perhaps you can use HW assisted compression - provide detailed HW specification - CPU model and GPU model.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It takes 2hours for 1hr 45min video - is about 0.75x speed. Encoding speed seems too slow for 720x480 video

Are you doing other things, applying other filters ?

Is laptop in throttling, overheating ? Check temps . Is laptop in low power energy saving mode ?

What is the CPU usage during encoding ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you can live with cuts on keyframes only (every half second to several seconds, depending on the recording) you should try AviDemux. Open you source, leave Video Output and Audio Output set to "Copy", set Output Format to "MP4v2 Muxer". Then mark-in (A marker), mark-out (B marker), Edit -> Cut for each section you want to remove. Finally File -> Save... That last step will only take a minute or two.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jul 2023 at 20:58.
    Quote Quote