VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I tried hard coding Telugu subtititles using FFMPEG. But the not able to get the font correct.
    I tried using the Hand brake. Command line interface

HandBrakeCLI -i 5.mp4 -o file.115.mp4 --preset="Normal" --srt-file 5.srt --srt-codeset UTF-8 --srt-burn

With Hand brake we are able to get the font correct ie able to read telugu properly

I could not find an option to increase the font size.
    More over the video quality was changed to 250 P from the original video at 360 P
    subtitle comes little blurry ? not clear and sharp scripts.

Can any one kindly suggest me how to increase the font size and keep the video pixes at 360 P or 480 P
    Regards
    Kamalakar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the problem with resizing video is in preset normal. And IMHO you can't do much with subtitles in Handbrake, just coding and language, didn't found anything about size of font settings. Probably you can convert them to some other format, that include font size itself, and Handbrake understand it. Probably ass/ssa or similar.
    Correction:https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/subtitles.html

Edit: so conclusion, use GUI to control size of video, otherwise it will be resized and affected most probably with VFR.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 13th Jan 2018 at 11:22. Reason: EDIT and correction
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sir, I need to create around 100 videos. i preferred hand brake due to its CLI.
    I tried in ffmpeg, the telugu font got distorted

Can you kindly suggest any other software which has command line facility and can handle utf-8 font and can increase the font size to 24.
    Regards,
    Kamalakar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, i don't like cli. But in Subtitle edit you can convert srt to ssa and change size of ssa subtitles. Probably there is cli or batch subtitle conversion, but don't know about it.
    And Handbrake has Batch function in gui, so if you properly setup your presets, don't change video size and other things, it can run without touch anything probably whole year. One file finished second started and so on.
    So Hardcoded subtitles in Handbrake with customized size of font, there is mentioned ssa subtitles containing size should be respected. So try find some subtitle software supporting batch processing from srt to ssa where you can set font size for ssa subtitles.
    Probably you can do this after conversion in pspad, find and replace string in files (changing ssa subtitles size) don't know for sure.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for double post, but there is batch conversion in Subtitle edit!!! In tools - batch conversion.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sir, in SSA how do we increase the font size.
    Is it just increase the fontsize of all the text in the file or

or Just change the value 16 to 24
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Arial Narrow,16,&H00FFFFFF,&H00010101,&H00010101,&H10000 000,-1,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,1,2,0,2,0,0,19,0

What would be cli command or the same.
    I used the following command and it didnot do any thing

HandBrakeCLI --input 851.mp4 --output h851_4.mp4 --width 1920 --height 1080 --aencoder copy:aac --encoder x264 --encoder-level 4.2 --preset="High Profile" --encoder-preset VeryFast --quality 20 --srt-file 851.ssa --srt-codeset UTF-8 --srt-burn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    as I wrote before, I don't know anything about Handbrake CLI. But on start of subtitles, when you converted them in Subtitle edit to sub station alpha format, size of subtitles is set to 24. I changed them to 64 and played in potplayer windowed (size 64), and it was over whole screen.
    I'm not sure how to use ssa in cli, but seems to me be weird --srt-file 851.ssa --srt-codeset UTF-8 --srt-burn I would expect using ssa there, but probably you are right, really dont know. But when I click in GUI to import srt, ssa are not listed there. Only srt available, and this imply that something has to be changed in your command line.

Back to your 1. question, yes, the fontsize is the key. probably 16 is good enough for 360p, but when I saved srt as ssa it saved it with size 24 (probably big for 360p)
    Style: Default,Arial Narrow,16,&H00FFFFFF,&H00010101,&H00010101,&H10000 000,-1,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,1,2,0,2,0,0,19,0 the bold underlined is what interested you.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. HandBrake only supports external subtitles as SRT format. For ASS they have to be embed in MKV container.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SSA should be supported according to https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/subtitles.html
    There isn't aas mentioned. Just SSA, but not example of command.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. ASS and SSA are basically the same. ASS is just a bit extended.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They don't fully support SSA even, so think if ass are supported, they will very likely announced it.
    Just my opinion.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  12. It is. Even ASS is very old already. HandBrake SSA/ASS rendering is built on libass - the name of the library should already tell you that ASS is supported.
    But as I said: in HandBrake only muxed into mkv, not from extra file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    if some program is using something, it doesn't mean, that it is using it fully. Same like program using ffmpeg, hardly used all its features. That's all But probably you are right.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dear all,
    Appreciate all your help. videoburger using all your suggestions and comments solved my problem.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/386272-Batch-Run-Hard-code-subtitles-to-video-file...e2#post2508484

I am able to get the telugu subtitles to the font size of my interest with out any issues.

Appreciate all those who helped me to come out of the predicament i am facing
    Quote Quote  
  15. Now, Handbrake can burn ass(or ssa) subtitles into mp4 file.
    Here is my batch script.

Code:
    for %%g in (*.mp4) do (
    HandBrakeCLI.exe -i "%%g" -o "sub_%%g" --ssa-file "%%~ng.ass" --ssa-burn
    )
    command-line-reference
    Quote Quote