VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Someone told me that 1080i movies will never be commonplace due tto the cost to the movie studios in shooting the film. My question is, if this is true how do they get 1080i movies on cable with existing films. This would suggest they dont have to shoot the film in any special way to produce broadcasts and dvds with this resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the film prints are scanned (expensive) or telecined (lot lot cheaper) -- these are the most common methods ..

though if the film is edted totally on avid or something like that -- you could output a HD file .. but printing back to film from that method is expensive .. ussually is a combination of matchback and film print .. why color matching becomes critical ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    the film prints are scanned (expensive) or telecined (lot lot cheaper) -- these are the most common methods ..

though if the film is edted totally on avid or something like that -- you could output a HD file .. but printing back to film from that method is expensive .. ussually is a combination of matchback and film print .. why color matching becomes critical ..

So then 1080i dvds are not out of the picture,even if the original film is not HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. They already have some 1080i DVDs. Terminator 2 is 1080i in WM9 and some adult DVD also along with some PBS type documentaries. All in WMV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with the HDTV is that many consumers are ready for it, but not the indestry! This is the "'00s" phenomena: The market offer solutions before it's time!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    Originally Posted by Vanderlow
    They already have some 1080i DVDs. Terminator 2 is 1080i in WM9 and some adult DVD also along with some PBS type documentaries. All in WMV.
    Do you need a special player?
    I thought there would be too much info at that resolution to fit on a dvd9.
    Sorry, what is wmv and wm9?
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's Windows Media Video or 9 it's the same thing. Right now it's only playable on a PC with a 3Ghz computer. An upcoming Bravo player is suppose to play WM9. This is also the video codec they are thinking of using for true HD-DVD movies .... at a lesser compressed rate obviously.

Sample can be downloaded here plus an article on it.

http://www.theperfectvision.com/newsletter/tpv50/hidef_pc.html
    Quote Quote