VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/dvd-discs.html

Some shocking comments like TDK -R "disc lacks quality to be a suitable medium" and CMC +R has "highest quality and recommend it to all of you".

Fair review? Crap review?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Any review that puts CMC at the top of the pile is crap, plain and simple.

It's a nerd test too. They took ONE BURNER and used ONLY SCANS to rate the media. That is so utterly, completely irresponsible ... not to mention retarded.

Just to be clear about it: 100% steaming cow turds.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HyperYagami
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/dvd-discs.html

Some shocking comments like TDK -R "disc lacks quality to be a suitable medium" and CMC +R has "highest quality and recommend it to all of you".

Fair review? Crap review?
    More drives should have been used for PI/PO testing IMO, but I'd have to agree with their assessment of the TDK -R. I have yet to be impressed with TTG02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like with the previous disc from Memorex, we have to admit its highest quality and recommend it to all of you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OMG!
    For dvd-r, they have CMC, Memorex and Prodisc rated as the best with Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi as being inferior.

Should I believe the findings of one website or the reviews from hundreds of users on these forums?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to agree with Gen-An regarding TTG02 which is TDK 8x DVD-R, the last few spindles I bought were returned to the store. All I got was coasters and freezing when playing back the discs. I'll stay away from TDK dvd media period.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of the last 20 or so spindles I bought of TTG02 media, one spindle was about 50% crap (12 discs in 25). It was the inkjet ones. All the others are fine, typical 1 disc per spindle coaster rate. I can only wonder how many more bad ones are out there, and why.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Out of the last 20 or so spindles I bought of TTG02 media, one spindle was about 50% crap (12 discs in 25). It was the inkjet ones. All the others are fine, typical 1 disc per spindle coaster rate. I can only wonder how many more bad ones are out there, and why.
    1) The inkjet ones might be fake TTG02.
    2) The white printable top layer may warp the disk at the higher temperature in the drive, and leading to focussing problems. That will happen, if the white top layer expands/shrinks differently with temperature than the rest of the disk. This happens normally only with cheap disks. If you want, you can easily test, if heating up warps those bad disks by about 1mm, see:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1280777#1280777
    With the good disks the warping should not occur.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're not fake. Retail packaged media. Besides, there are no fake TTG02.

And while your post about warping does make an excellent point, the heat required is too great. Your hairdryer is much MUCH hotter than the DVD-ROM or burner, even after very extended periods of time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. With this experiment I observe a difference between good and bad media. With the high temperature I wanted to warp the disk so much (1mm), that I can easily see the warping with help of a ruler. I think fosussing problems may already occur with much less warping.
    Quote Quote  
  11. After using many many CMC discs I have to say that they have never let me down. I'm approaching 350 CMC Memorex burned without even ONE failure, or any playback issues. I would recommend them to anyone who owns an NEC burner.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've burned hundreds and hundreds of CMC discs of many different brands and media codes, and they are THE most reliable discs I've ever used on both of my NEC drives and my Benq 822. More reliable than even TY, of which I've burned two coasters out of the last ~50 discs, which is actually a high amount compared to the results with my CMC discs. I've even burned about 300 2.4x CMC R01 discs at 8x and the results are outstanding.

I'll also say that, although it's mostly been reliable, I'm not that impressed with TDK media either. I've burned a couple of coasters on the relatively small amount of discs I've burned.

The tests done on that site are of little value, though. There's way too many variables that were not considered - FW versions, burner models, burn speeds, etc. Not to mention Liteon DVD burners are inferior to begin with. NEC, Benq, Pioneer, Plextor all would have been better choices, or better yet test them all.
    Quote Quote