VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am not trying to resize the video. I want to make the editor section bigger so I can be more precise with dragging things around on the actual editor window. I can't find anything about this online because Google keeps giving me results about resizing the video, which is not what I want to do.

[Attachment 61163 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may not be obvious to everyone which editor you're talking about, I can't tell.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Uhh....VSDC? the one this entire forum is for??? At least this is the only one that came up about it on Google
    Quote Quote  
  4. This section of the forum is for all editing software, not just VSDC. There are plenty of video editors out there both free and paid. I would suggest you choose one with a better GUI. Have a look at Video Editors in the Software section above.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    This section of the forum is for all editing software, not just VSDC. There are plenty of video editors out there both free and paid. I would suggest you choose one with a better GUI. Have a look at Video Editors in the Software section above.
    You seem to be under the assumption I'm new to the software - I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to. I just want to make the view bigger so I can make precise adjustments when moving things around.

So, instead of condescending to me, answer the ACTUAL question. I don't have time or energy to waste on beating around the bush.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Contact the authors and ask them directly:
    https://www.videosoftdev.com/support/feedback
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Snöiller Fitzroy View Post
    I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to.
    Although it obviously doesn't....
    I just want to make the view bigger so I can make precise adjustments when moving things around.
    as it won't let you do what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to.
    Although it obviously doesn't....
    I just want to make the view bigger so I can make precise adjustments when moving things around.
    as it won't let you do what you want to do.
    Love how both of the smartass unhelpful comments are coming from brits

If you're just gonna be a dick, don't reply. You know what I ******* meant
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Contact the authors and ask them directly:
    https://www.videosoftdev.com/support/feedback
    This is the opposite of helping
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the free version of VSDC to look at the user interface.

For most software where the ability to magnify/reduce makes sense, the View drop-down menu on the Menu Bar, or a Settings drop-down menu, or a context menu contains settings/controls that allow magnification (Zoom In) or reduction (Zoom Out). However, VSDC only has settings to show/hide Toolbars, the Timeline, etc., in the View drop-down menu and Settings, causing more (or less) of the program window to be devoted to displaying the video and nothing remotely useful in a context menu.

My guess is that the free version of VSDC doesn't allow what you want to do. I can't say if the paid version behaves differently.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I downloaded the free version of VSDC to look at the user interface.

For most software where the ability to magnify/reduce makes sense, the View drop-down menu on the Menu Bar, or a Settings drop-down menu, or a context menu contains settings/controls that allow magnification (Zoom In) or reduction (Zoom Out). However, VSDC only has settings to show/hide Toolbars, the Timeline, etc., in the View drop-down menu and Settings, causing more (or less) of the program window to be devoted to displaying the video and nothing remotely useful in a context menu.

My guess is that the free version of VSDC doesn't allow what you want to do. I can't say if the paid version behaves differently.
    Thank you. This is the conclusion I was floating towards but I figured I must have been missing something since I don't really explore the setting much aside from searching through settings and such this morning specifically. I'm also only on the free version so who knows, maybe I'll discover something when I can eventually afford the upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just thought of something else to try, the zoom-in and zoom-out gestures on my laptop trackpad. Surprisingly, this worked! (I first moved the cursor into the center of the video window pane. Afterward, placing both index fingers together on the trackpad and pulling them apart zoomed in. Placing both index fingers some distance apart on the trackpad and pushing them together zoomed out.)

[Edit] I tried placing the cursor in the center of the video window pane and clicking, afterward typing Cntl+ or Cntl- also worked.

[Edit 2] I hid everything that I could, other than the viewer, then did some screenshots
    [Attachment 61178 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61179 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Oct 2021 at 11:44. Reason: In Edit 2, I cropped screenshots to screen size and re-wrote for clarity
    Quote Quote  
  13. "You seem to be under the assumption I'm new to the software - I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to. I just want to make the view bigger so I can make precise adjustments when moving things around".

I assumed you were a new user as that is the sort of question asked by a newbie. It's surprising then that you don't know VSCD's capabilities.
    I'll be even more condescending, try reading the manual.
    Last edited by ChapmanDolly; 7th Oct 2021 at 05:24.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    ...try reading the manual.
    The first thing I did was to skim VSDC's help/documentation/FAQs to see if there was any help with this problem there. If you managed to find a solution, good eye! I failed to find what I was looking for.

So, I resorted to a trial and error approach. The keystrokes and gestures that finally worked are standard for Windows but the focus has to be on the right object in the UI for them to work.

I am hopeful that Snöiller Fitzroy's VSDC problem is resolved but I can't say for sure since he has not returned to say anything.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Oct 2021 at 14:35. Reason: corrected spelling
    Quote Quote