VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello!

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about new features, bugs or long overdue fixes.

Latest stable:
    http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do (Doesn't yet include english language)
    or
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Potplayer
    or
    http://www.dvbsupport.net/download/index.php?act=view&id=230

Latest beta announcment/changelog(korean):
    http://cluster1.cafe.daum.net/_c21_/bbs_list?grpid=1E88b&mgrpid=&fldid=AZMV
    (Normally the topmost sticky thread)

Download BETA URL:
    http://potplayer.daum.net/beta/PotPlayerSetup.exe (Now includes english translation)
    or
    http://www.dvbsupport.net/download/index.php?act=view&id=268

Changelog archive (english):
    http://www.dvbsupport.net/info/potplayer.html

Official international/english forum:
    https://potplayer.daum.net/forum/

If you have bugs you can report it at: https://potplayer.daum.net/forum/ (seems abandoned by devs) or http://cluster1.cafe.daum.net/_c21_/bbs_list?grpid=1E88b&fldid=AZL7

Or send it to the official e-mail address: ahahlive at hanmail.net

The dev's not too good with english, so make sure you make everything clear. (Pictures seem to help.)
    Last edited by mzso; 11th Apr 2018 at 04:52. Reason: Added forum link
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread to talk about new features, bugs or long overdue fixes.
    Why? This isn't a PotPlayer development site. I doubt any of the developers even come here. You'd have better luck here: http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Why? This isn't a PotPlayer development site. I doubt any of the developers even come here. You'd have better luck here: http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do
    My desire wasn't to submit bugs, but maybe talk about current issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The main issue is that the program has constant beta updates, and most have more new bugs than were fixed in the update. Maybe he figures he'll get more donations that way or something like that. I didn't dislike it enough to bother uninstalling it in windows but I never really used it much either.

Why not just get a really good video player like smplayer or vlc?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    The main issue is that the program has constant beta updates, and most have more new bugs than were fixed in the update. Maybe he figures he'll get more donations that way or something like that. I didn't dislike it enough to bother uninstalling it in windows but I never really used it much either.

Why not just get a really good video player like smplayer or vlc?
    Because potplayer is better than both. At least for me. More features, better configurability.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I also prefer PotPlayer (speed, stability, compatibility), and it's only the one issue for me - BD seamless playlist navigation. For everything else I find it's simply the best!

Out of interest, has anyone ever had any response posting bug reports on http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do ?
    Is it really such a bad idea for people posting bugs here if there is no official English forum? Discussion is always healthy, even if no immediate fixes are imminent, especially with Doom9 closing PotPlayer threads.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    I also prefer PotPlayer (speed, stability, compatibility), and it's only the one issue for me - BD seamless playlist navigation. For everything else I find it's simply the best!

Out of interest, has anyone ever had any response posting bug reports on http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do ?
    Is it really such a bad idea for people posting bugs here if there is no official English forum? Discussion is always healthy, even if no immediate fixes are imminent, especially with Doom9 closing PotPlayer threads.
    I think I had, but couldn't log in after a while. Since then I only sent e-mail bug-reports. Most were fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Version 1.5.35989 beta is incredibly slow opening files. Is that the case for anyone else? I had to roll back to 1.5.35981 because it was so slow.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Hockey Man View Post
    Version 1.5.35989 beta is incredibly slow opening files. Is that the case for anyone else? I had to roll back to 1.5.35981 because it was so slow.
    It seems to hang a bit with 720p files for me.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I have no issues with the 1.5.35989 beta it opens 720p/1080p/and all standard definition files as quickly as earlier versions(at least for me) in all my notebooks and desktops..As for the player itself and in my own opinion,video files look better sound better and play smoother then any other player I have ever tried and I have tried them all..My only issue with this player is when there is a full update (not a beta update) it sets all my customized options and settings back to default on install which means I have to reset all my own settings over again to where I like them..Most of the default settings I dont mess with anyway but there are quite a few I like to change...~
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is all quite academic anyway.
    The way I see it, there are several very good free media players.
    Get several of them and if one doesn't do quite what you want, change over to one of the others.
    Potplayer, MPC-HC, SM Player and VLC (and splash lite) are all quite good.
    There may be others that are good too......
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by RappinRod View Post
    My only issue with this player is when there is a full update (not a beta update) it sets all my customized options and settings back to default on install which means I have to reset all my own settings over again to where I like them..Most of the default settings I dont mess with anyway but there are quite a few I like to change...~
    You can avoid this problem if you just extract the exe file with 7zip and put the new files in the potplayer folder. Just make sure you don't overwrite anything you don't want erased, like possibly your skins or playlist folder.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    This is all quite academic anyway.
    The way I see it, there are several very good free media players.
    Get several of them and if one doesn't do quite what you want, change over to one of the others.
    Potplayer, MPC-HC, SM Player and VLC (and splash lite) are all quite good.
    There may be others that are good too......
    I have most media players installed, but one gets sick of updating each one not knowing what new surprises await. So the idea of just one media player is attractive. MPC/MPC-HC for the longest time has been a terrific player for me, but still nowhere near as smooth or powerful playing all HD content (particularly full HD VC1) without the usual codec hell. VLC is much better than it used to be, but still somewhat unstable and hardware playback is flakey for me.

My PC is a little old now and Potplayer is by far the fastest and only player that fully supported VC1 via DXVA from the get go years ago (at least with my 8800 GTS). Apart for the reasons already mentioned, the current #1 reason is the excellent scrub/navigation bar response time (including the skip keys) for all media containers. It's the most responsive of all my players without any waiting time while re-syncing the stream. I'm now gradually switching all associations to Potplayer only.
    Last edited by katipo; 7th Mar 2013 at 00:31.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you are on a low-powered computer, Potplayer and Splash lite are likely the best choices.
    I am a bit reserved in recommending Splash Lite since many features are disabled in the free product
    but it seems to play stuff fairly well with little processor resources though I haven't used it a great deal...because of above reason.

About the updates, most of the time there is no need to updates just because of a new beta.
    I am still running older versions of Potplayer...if it works, I see little need to update unless
    there is a new feature that really improves something.
    Most updates appear to be trivial.
    The exception is VLC, one of the updates later last year really was worth it.

Main thing is find a version that works the way you want it to and read the logs
    for new betas to see if it is something that is updating to.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Hockey Man View Post
    Version 1.5.35989 beta is incredibly slow opening files. Is that the case for anyone else? I had to roll back to 1.5.35981 because it was so slow.
    Did 1.5.36020 fix it?
    Otherwise did anyone notice some change. There's no changelog this time...
    Quote Quote  
  16. If I am not using my Asus media player, and instead use the a PC player (for quick convenience)I use Pot Player 1.5/26243 for a while now, and it is great. In general I use MPC for movies, but I like Pot Player with motion interpolation for watching Asian TV dramas and live concerts, to put back in the live look that it is supposed to have.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by deadmeow View Post
    If I am not using my Asus media player, and instead use the a PC player (for quick convenience)I use Pot Player 1.5/26243 for a while now, and it is great. In general I use MPC for movies, but I like Pot Player with motion interpolation for watching Asian TV dramas and live concerts, to put back in the live look that it is supposed to have.
    I followed this guide but it hangs when it tries to enable framerate interpolation.

Ooops, it seems to be working with LAV as a decoder.
    Last edited by mzso; 7th Mar 2013 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Originally Posted by Hockey Man View Post
    Did 1.5.36020 fix it?
    Otherwise did anyone notice some change. There's no changelog this time...
    Nope, beta 1.5.36020 didn't fix the problem. Although I did notice that it mainly appears to be happening with audio files, at least mp3s since that is what I tested. Video files seem to open up fine for me. I did notice my CPU usage increases more than normal with this problem. The slow down doesn't happen all the time guaranteed but enough to be annoying. I just tried 1.5.35981 again, and everything is fine with this version.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Hockey Man View Post
    Originally Posted by RappinRod View Post
    My only issue with this player is when there is a full update (not a beta update) it sets all my customized options and settings back to default on install which means I have to reset all my own settings over again to where I like them
    You can avoid this problem if you just extract the exe file with 7zip and put the new files in the potplayer folder. Just make sure you don't overwrite anything you don't want erased, like possibly your skins or playlist folder.
    In the past my solution for setting retention after installing a version upgrade was to replace the default PotPlayerMini.ini (which is newly created after checking the "Store settings to .ini file" setting) with the backup my customized PotPlayerMini.ini from the previous version install.

However, a number of months ago after doing one of my typical Potplayer upgrades, I experienced some odd/defective playback behavior.

I eventually discovered that it was due to the process of replacing the new PotPlayerMini.ini with my previous custom PotPlayerMini.ini.

As soon as I reinstated my fresh new default PotPlayerMini.ini, everything was fine.

Ever since, for full upgrades, I have manually set all my preferences, which as you know is a minor pain.

Thanks for offering a work around for this issue, but since you know much more about theses sorts of things than I do, I have a question.

There is no PotPlayerMini.ini created immediately after installation without selecting that option.

Can I presume you are using a PotPlayerMini.ini file for your settings, or are you relying on the previous Daum player registry entry to retain custom settings?

If using a PotPlayerMini.ini, Is your method of extraction and replacement different than my method of simply replacing PotPlayerMini.ini?

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by halserrano View Post
    However, a number of months ago after doing one of my typical Potplayer upgrades, I experienced some odd/defective playback behavior.

I eventually discovered that it was due to the process of replacing the new PotPlayerMini.ini with my previous custom PotPlayerMini.ini.
    That can't be a problem in it self. You might have enabled a feature that got bugged on the update.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    That can't be a problem in it self. You might have enabled a feature that got bugged on the update.
    Are you saying that potplayermini.ini has remained the same throughout despite all the other changes via upgrades?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if the format has changed slightly over time. I think creating a clean ini from scratch with the version you are currently using is a good way to ensure there are no incompatibilities. A slight pain, but if it avoids problems... I think I'll stick to the version I've got until I see a fix posted for the BD seamless playlist bug (could be a long time).

In certain previous versions I found that the ini was easily corruptible (so kept a backup). Although I still prefer the ini to the registry. The ini should have priority, but it's probably a good idea to clear the registry if using the ini.

BTW, you can rename the exe to anything else and rename the ini to match. Mine is now simply called PotPlayer.exe (no 'Mini').
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by halserrano View Post
    Originally Posted by RappinRod View Post
    My only issue with this player is when there is a full update (not a beta update) it sets all my customized options and settings back to default on install which means I have to reset all my own settings over again to where I like them
    In the past my solution for setting retention after installing a version upgrade was to replace the default PotPlayerMini.ini (which is newly created after checking the "Store settings to .ini file" setting) with the backup my customized PotPlayerMini.ini from the previous version install.

As soon as I reinstated my fresh new default PotPlayerMini.ini, everything was fine.

Ever since, for full upgrades, I have manually set all my preferences, which as you know is a minor pain.

Thanks for offering a work around for this issue, but since you know much more about theses sorts of things than I do, I have a question.

There is no PotPlayerMini.ini created immediately after installation without selecting that option.

Can I presume you are using a PotPlayerMini.ini file for your settings, or are you relying on the previous Daum player registry entry to retain custom settings?

If using a PotPlayerMini.ini, Is your method of extraction and replacement different than my method of simply replacing PotPlayerMini.ini?

thanks again
    I'm using both the registry and .ini file on two different computers. For the registry version, usually I just extract the full version of PotPlayer and copy over my skins folder from the old version since I have skins I want to keep. Same thing with the .ini version, but I also copy my potplayermini.ini file. I haven't noticed any problems using old versions of the .ini file in new versions of PotPlayer.

Also, you can make PotPlayer store settings before even opening it by creating an ini file in notepad and type any text inside of it (like "asdf"). Just make sure you type something. After starting up PotPlayer, the "store settings to ini file" will be automatically checked. This will avoid writing to the registry completely. However, I'm not sure if the installation writes to the registry while installing since I never do it that way.

This is the method dvbsupport.net says on their website:

Q.Why are my personal settings lost after stable version of PotPlayer installed ?

A.The English installer just deletes its presets called "Built-in DXVA/Self DXVA/CUDA/QuickSync Decoder" on each install! So if you change some settings of the "Built-in ...." presets and want to keep those settings on each install, go to F5 > configuration tab, click on rename button and enter a different name.(then Apply & OK) To return your settings after stable version of PotPlayer installed, click to PotPlayer's icon on top left and select the related preset.Also the English installer will do not touch the "Default Configuration" preset.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by halserrano View Post
    Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Are you saying that potplayermini.ini has remained the same throughout despite all the other changes via upgrades?
    What do you mean the same? The ini is rewritten every time you close potplayer. I've had several problems with potplayer but the ini was never a problem, it's always a bug in the program itself.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    What do you mean the same? The ini is rewritten every time you close potplayer. I've had several problems with potplayer but the ini was never a problem, it's always a bug in the program itself.
    An upgrade signifies change. What I mean by "the same" is that I do not believe it is unreasonable to consider/assume that if a program, i.e. Potplayer, goes thru an upgrade, then, among other areas, a structural change might be reflected in Potplayermini.ini.

So, If that is indeed the case, and the actual structure of the newly created Potplayermini.ini is different from previous versions (i.o.w. a different file altogether), and I choose to replace that newly created Potplayermini.ini with a customized Potplayermini.ini from a previous Potplayer version, then I am likely asking for trouble.

I believe that is what happened to me when I originally discovered the problems I previously outlined.

At that time, I did no more than replace Potplayermini.ini (as I had done so many times before without incident), making no other changes, since the whole idea in the first place was to avoid the annoying task of having to change any settings manually.

All I can say is that reverting back to the default Potplayermini.ini at that juncture repaired my broken Potplayer, and I have reluctantly been making manual changes post upgrade ever since.

Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the format has changed slightly over time. I think creating a clean ini from scratch with the version you are currently using is a good way to ensure there are no incompatibilities. A slight pain, but if it avoids problems... I think I'll stick to the version I've got until I see a fix posted for the BD seamless playlist bug (could be a long time).

In certain previous versions I found that the ini was easily corruptible (so kept a backup). Although I still prefer the ini to the registry. The ini should have priority, but it's probably a good idea to clear the registry if using the ini.

BTW, you can rename the exe to anything else and rename the ini to match. Mine is now simply called PotPlayer.exe (no 'Mini').
    Thanks, good stuff.

I like this approach, but besides avoiding the registry during installation, what else does this accomplish beyond my method of switching out the .ini file?

I'm using both the registry and .ini file on two different computers. For the registry version, usually I just extract the full version of PotPlayer and copy over my skins folder from the old version since I have skins I want to keep. Same thing with the .ini version, but I also copy my potplayermini.ini file. I haven't noticed any problems using old versions of the .ini file in new versions of PotPlayer.
    Also, you can make PotPlayer store settings before even opening it by creating an ini file in notepad and type any text inside of it (like "asdf"). Just make sure you type something. After starting up PotPlayer, the "store settings to ini file" will be automatically checked. This will avoid writing to the registry completely. However, I'm not sure if the installation writes to the registry while installing since I never do it that way.

Q.Why are my personal settings lost after stable version of PotPlayer installed ?

A.The English installer just deletes its presets called "Built-in DXVA/Self DXVA/CUDA/QuickSync Decoder" on each install! So if you change some settings of the "Built-in ...." presets and want to keep those settings on each install, go to F5 > configuration tab, click on rename button and enter a different name.(then Apply & OK) To return your settings after stable version of PotPlayer installed, click to PotPlayer's icon on top left and select the related preset.Also the English installer will do not touch the "Default Configuration" preset.
    Yes. Great.

Here is what I also experienced. In the configuration tab, to get it to internally recognize my custom .ini by default, I renamed "Built-in DXVA/Self DXVA/CUDA/QuickSync Decoder" to "CUSTOM SETTINGS".

Then, with "CUSTOM SETTINGS" highlighted, I selected the "Active Selected Preset" button, and checked the boxes for "Reopen current file when a preset is manually switched" and "When switching a preset, colpy it to the default configuration preset"

Is there a link to that dvbsupport.net page, or is it it from that forum must be logged into to view posts?

Thanks to all for your observations and assistance.
    Last edited by halserrano; 14th Mar 2013 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by halserrano View Post
    I like this approach, but besides avoiding the registry during installation, what else does this accomplish beyond my method of switching out the .ini file?
    Nothing, It'll do the same thing.

Originally Posted by halserrano View Post

Is there a link to that dvbsupport.net page, or is it it from that forum must be logged into to view posts?
    I found it here http://www.dvbsupport.net/info/potplayer.html, but don't expect it to help much since it's really just a changelog.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Sorry to keep harping on this, but this latest update, PotPlayer1.5.36181Upd, is a perfect example of what I have been concerned about regarding whether to backup & restore your custom settings from from a previous version, or to manually create new settings every time.

PotPlayer1.5.36181Upd adds a new "preferences" option: "Display thumbnail previews on .nav bar"

So what happens now if you set up your configuration to keep/not erase previous settings (see DXVA discussion)?

Or, extract the Potplayer installer and copy files (or just copy/paste the backed up custom potplayermini.ini) to the installation directory to achieve setting retention?

Is Potplayer with it's updated files equipped to recognize and make the adjustment to the old .ini by implementing whatever changes have been included in the update?

Or will the old .ini take precedent and impose itself on the program?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by halserrano View Post
    Is Potplayer with it's updated files equipped to recognize and make the adjustment to the old .ini by implementing whatever changes have been included in the update?

Or will the old .ini take precedent and impose itself on the program?
    Of course it is it would be pretty stupid, if it couldn't handle updates. If new settings were implemented then thel player will write them as soon as you change them from default.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Of course it is it would be pretty stupid, if it couldn't handle updates. If new settings were implemented then thel player will write them as soon as you change them from default.
    Sorry, maybe I did not explain my point clearly.

It's not that a new Potplayer install wont recognize the setting changes from the old Potplayer.ini file, but will the new installation recognize that, as a Potplayermini.ini from a previous version, it is not complete or compatible with the latest developmental innovations, i.e. the ability not offered until the latest update to "Display thumbnail previews on .nav bar."

The is a question of whether a new Potplayer install is intuitive enough and does it have the ability to make the necessary changes in a previous Potplayermini.ini to ensure that the previous Potplayermini.ini becomes compatible, does not corrupt the operation of the program, and will display and deliver all of the new preference options intended by the upgrade.
    Last edited by halserrano; 17th Mar 2013 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I kept my old ini file and PotPlayer was able to recognize the thumbnail feature. I don't see any problems, so the old ini seems compatible. I think PotPlayer just makes the necessary adjustments to the ini file when you update.
    Quote Quote