VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am considering purchasing Sony KDL-40D3500, which has full HD (i.e. 1920x1080) resolution but according to the manual (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3280663111.pdf , page 40) it can take only up to 1360x768 THROUGH IT'S PC (VGA) input. I checked other Sony full HD TV's, all except the X-series go (nominally) only up to 1360x768 on VGA.

I have a computer that can easily produce 1920x1080 from it's VGA (checked with my 21" CRT monitor), but has no DVI output. I was therefore hoping I could use the computer with the Sony TV at FULL 1920x1080 RESOLUTION but from the manual it seems I will have no such luck. Adding a DVI card into the PC is very difficult btw.

Does anyone here have any experience with sending 1920x1080 signal into the Sony KDL-40D3500 (or other similar model) VGA input? Is anyone willing to test it or is it known it does not work?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Google search about this model: "PC/VGA only full hd if you connected by hdmi"

If the manual says it explicitly, I would assume the limitation to be true and expect to either put up with a lower resolution or, ideally, change the equipment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This would only make a practical difference if you were using the TV as a computer monitor for fine print or graphics detail and you were sitting very close. For a 40" screen at normal viewing distances, video will look fine upscaled from 1366x768.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shun
    Google search about this model: "PC/VGA only full hd if you connected by hdmi"

If the manual says it explicitly, I would assume the limitation to be true and expect to either put up with a lower resolution or, ideally, change the equipment.
    Originally Posted by edDV
    This would only make a practical difference if you were using the TV as a computer monitor for fine print or graphics detail and you were sitting very close. For a 40" screen at normal viewing distances, video will look fine upscaled from 1366x768.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think it's annoying that a EUR 1400 piece of equipment cannot do what my 5-year old professional CRT can. I am wondering the Sony TV's are intentionally crippled on the VGA input... Anyway, since I don't plan to purchase any other source of full HD signal in the nearest future I think I will start looking at TV's with 1366x768 res instead.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No copyright control over the Vga input *cough cough* ??
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    No copyright control over the Vga input *cough cough* ??
    Quote Quote