VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had HD 16:9 footage (top field first) which I edited and then converted to mpeg2 (top field first) at around 4500 rate. I put this file through tmpgenc DVD authoring and it recognised and set the top field first.

When I play the resulting DVD on a player/TV, the picture looks ok, panning shots are ok. However, whenever there is fast movement the pic stutters or judders. For example, a person sitting still on a chair moves his hands, the picture stays fairly stable but the hands start to stutter.

I would have thought if field order was wrong then the whole pic would stutter including the panning shots. In any case footage was top field and I have kept it that way all the way through.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post before and after samples. Use a program mpg2cut or dgindex to extract the samples without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Using American rates here, but the same would apply to 25Hz/50Hz.

Possibly the pans were shot at 1/30 shutter while the interview-type footage was 1/60. "Wrong" field order during the 1/30 shots won't stutter, because both fields would be from the same moment in time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Original footage was HD 1980x1080 PAL 50i frameserved to mpeg encoder.

I did another encode and this time swapped the field flag and it made no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please post some short sample showing movement, as was suggested earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What I found was that if I encode the mpeg2 file using the very very best setting (very slow) then there is less of this stutter, though not totally eliminated.
    So I suspect that the stuttering was a result of not enough passes and poor motion detection.
    Will have to look for an alternative mpeg2 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by akkers View Post
    What I found was that if I encode the mpeg2 file using the very very best setting (very slow) then there is less of this stutter, though not totally eliminated.
    So I suspect that the stuttering was a result of not enough passes and poor motion detection.
    Will have to look for an alternative mpeg2 encoder.
    Unlikely.

A more common culprit would be non-frame accurate frameserving

How are you frameserving, provide some more details
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1080i converted to 576i properly will not lose any motion smoothness, even at low bitrates. You've obviously done something wrong but nobody can give you concreted advice until you've provided a sample of your source -- since it appears to be somewhat unusual. And posting a sample of your converted video will give clues to what you did wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would have posted a sample but the footage contains people who would not consent to me posting it to public.
    But encoding again using the best performance (more passes) has reduced the problem. So I would say it was the encoding process that was at fault.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Unlikely that it was the encoding process. Very unlikely.

At least provide the details of how you are frameserving. A far more common culprit is serving frames out of order e.g. your decoder is probably messing up AVCHD source decoding (I'm assuming that's what your source was)
    Quote Quote