VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello all

I have a video file recorded from satellite which is good quality is a trp file and although a hd channel suspect video file is not actually hd codec etc.

the file will play via mem stick sat receiver to tv or similar files on usb hdd .

the problem is I have tried to convert this file to get similar quality/screen resolution and file size.

but every convertion format vob avi divx hd ps3 I have tried gives a far larger file size than the original.

using media info the original file is as follows.

file size 271mb 1920 * 1080 25fps avc high mpeg -ts

if I try to convert the smallest file size in say avi is about 500mb with a smaller screen resolution.

this has got me really baffled.

I do not know what avc high is?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo will also tell you the bitrate of your original file.

Then check the converted file with mediainfo and the bitrate WILL be higher. The 'magic' formula is filesize = bitrate*runtime.

What are you using to do the conversion ? I suspect it is one of these 'one-click' programs that has few options to select a bitrate. Try another program such as avidemux which will.
    Quote Quote  
  3. file size = bitrate * running time

So use the same bitrate if you want the same file size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should lower the bitrate to get smaller size. bitrate * running time = file size.

In some converters can you set the output file size directly like vidcoder,under settings and the video tab set the output file size.

Or do you really need to reconvert? You can try remux it to a mkv with mkvtoolnix or mp4 with mymp4boxgui. No reconversion.

edit: too slow .
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks all

it seems avc video is compressed as my sat receiver is hd

I am using wondershare video convter ultimate,in the past I have tried lots of them super/freemake/sothink/handbrake.

but decided to pay for licence for one convter.

I converted the above file to vob on completion using media info original bitrate app 2 200 converted 2 583.

my convter does not allow exact input of bitrate so it would be slightly less or more than original.

but convereting to vob (not hd setting) only allows me a screenres option of 720*480 where as my original is 1920*1080.

not tried vidcoder yet I have tried avidemux but it was so incredible slow.

that's why I opted for a later convter something about using graphic cards gpu to speed up converting.

thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question must be asked why you want to convert when you have no issues viewing this.

You also have a total lack of knowledge about aspect ratios and formats when you are considering converting a PAL source to what, on face value, appears to be a NTSC vob (720*480)

Conversion will take time. If this program is doing it quickly then it is not doing it very well.
    Quote Quote