VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone. I've done some reading and viewed some old threads and decided it was time to actually login and get some help. I am a boxing head and I have tons and tons of old fights on dvds. I spent so long trying to get the hang of getting the fights on dvds, I haven't been in any hurry to move to blu-rays. I think the time has finally come. The world of boxing, we get video from all over the world in varying formats and qualities. What I am looking for or need some instruction to read on is:
    1.) Can I move all my old fights from DVD's to blu-ray for space? If so what changes would have to be made? I don't care about keeping menus etc. I can author new ones.
    2.) Can I mix stuff up? For example I have MPEG videos to start and some newer fights will be HD.

What I am thinking is that I will rip each individual fight off the DVD's. Then if I have a new fight in HD, I will add that to the mix. I have no idea what format a BD requires though. Am I simply able to author the Blu-ray with mixes of MPGII and other formats?

This is not a quality issue. This is more of a space issue and keeping HD in HD formats rather than scaling it down so it will fit on a DVD. Chronologically, I will have a fight that is SD then goes to HD then back to HD or some weird combination like that.
    Last edited by yearofthespider2k3; 13th Nov 2017 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Take a look above at the "What is..." section.

It shows that most of what is regularly used for DVD (MPEG2 SD D1 interlaced video, AC3 or LPCM audio) is totally compatible within BD, in addition to BD's expected AVC (or occasionally VC1) HD video and DTS or lossless forms of audio. Now, depending upon structure, you may not be able to put both forms within the same titleset, but there are ways to get them to reside on the same disc, or easily put them on separate discs.
    Note that there are some elements that don't work - MPEG1, or Less-than-SD-rez MPEG video, MP2 compressed audio. And yes, menus will not translate anyway (they're completely different formats with differing capabilities).

IIWY, I'd get a full-featured BD authoring app. Adobe Encore (you should still be able to get Encore CS6 by getting Adobe CC and then DL'ing the Premiere CS6 bundle as well for free). Or DVD Architect (was Sony, now owned by Magix). Blu-Disc Studio. Don't think you'll need beyond that (Scenarist, etc.)
    Not necessarily cheap, though.

May want/need to extract your mpg + audio as elementary streams, as they will need to be recompiled & remuxed from VOB (MPG2-PS) to M2TS (MPEG2-TS) during the authoring anyway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think I can do that last bit with video-redo.... I have an option to save the video and it says "remux entire file" to a large number of formats... one of which is mpeg-2 transport stream (.ts) file extension.

That's not hard. I love video-redo. It's possibly the greatest single piece of software I own. Can handle just about anything I've tried to do.

Thanks for the info. Will look at all of the mentioned above. I think, at this point, I should be able to get everything straight off the discs, use VRD to move to a .TS file, then get after it. This would vastly cut down on space and allow me to squeeze some whole career sets on BR discs. I've always been good at finding work-arounds and getting stuff to work. Usually just takes some time and perseverance. I think with your help, this should be gravy.

Thanks, much appreciated. If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears to tips/tricks etc. that you've learned along the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SD rez MPEG2s are not wonderful in their robustness to further compression, particularly if some of your material is taken from broadcasts/streaming.
    So tread lightly in converting from mpeg2 to avc (as that last "squeeze" post of yours leads me to believe).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yearofthespider2k3, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    SD rez MPEG2s are not wonderful in their robustness to further compression, particularly if some of your material is taken from broadcasts/streaming.
    So tread lightly in converting from mpeg2 to avc (as that last "squeeze" post of yours leads me to believe).

Scott
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you're meaning on that post. If I understand, you're thinking that my MPEG2 files won't look very good if change them from mpeg2 to mpeg .ts files?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you're meaning on that post. If I understand, you're thinking that my MPEG2 files won't look very good if change them from mpeg2 to mpeg .ts files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Moving mpeg2 from vob (mpeg-ps) to m2ts (mpeg-ts) by reauthoring+recompiling is just a container change for the existing mpeg2 video - no loss, no diff in quality, slight change in header overhead-, but if you intend to "save space" by re-encoding your mpeg2 video into avc video (in addition to the container change), you run the risk of worsening the quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dunno if its updated anymore but multiavchd did that for a few years ago.not the easiest thing but it took a mix of mpeg2 files and reautored them (no recoding) to a bluray disc. If you want something a bit easier and don't mind recoding look into tmpegs authoring products. The cost some cash but will do all the proper work for you
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  10. Alright gentlemen, authored my very first disc last night (TOOK FOREVER)!!!!! I didn't see a place to ask an Encore specific question so I'll ask here. Mods, or whomever, if you don't mind moving if necessary.

I had a bunch of MPEG2 files that I added in, built a menu etc. etc. However, after our discussion above, I was under the impression that the files did not need to be "transcoded" by Encore. However, it transcoded them anyway...... below is the mediainfo for two separate files. One transcoded, one not transcoded.

This first was not transcoded:
    Complete name : C:\Users\\Desktop\TITO\16. Alberto Cortes.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 294 MiB
    Duration : 12mn 18s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 3 334 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : N=12
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 820 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 334 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.272
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
    Stream size : 248 MiB (85%)

Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Delay relative to video : 21ms
    Stream size : 39.4 MiB (13%)

This one was transcoded:
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\\Desktop\TITO\23. Macho Camacho merged.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1.28 GiB
    Duration : 42mn 19s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 4 331 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Duration : 42mn 19s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 116 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 334 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.397
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    Stream size : 1.22 GiB (95%)
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 42mn 18s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 38.7 MiB (3%)

I'm not sure why it would transcode one file and not another???
    Last edited by yearofthespider2k3; 27th Dec 2017 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't at first glance see anything video-wise that would necessitatetranscoding, but your 2nd sample's audio is mp2, which is "allowed, though not preferred" in DVD, but is NOT allowed in Blu-ray.
    My guess is that Encore flagged it as needing transcoding due to the audio, but transcoded the video also for good measure (maybe to make it progressive?).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    MediaInfo does not show everything there is to know about the encoding. FFprobe, part of FFmpeg, provides more analysis.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    My guess is that Encore flagged it as needing transcoding due to the audio, but transcoded the video also for good measure (maybe to make it progressive?).

Scott
    I thought that the Blu-ray spec requires standard definition video to be encoded as interlaced. Is there an omission in the specs posted here at VideoHelp?

[Edit]If the goal is to avoid re-encoding and the video is not Blu-ray compliant, then it is possible to burn simple media files to Blu-ray as data. There is no menu of course, but many Blu-ray players have the ability to play DVD-compliant mpg or ts files.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Dec 2017 at 11:32.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's why I said "at first glance".
    Specs/WPs say that BD SD main content material should be interlaced (though it usually/often accepts PsF material) but that secondary/PIP material should be progressive (weird, huh?).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. ???? I've no clue what either of you guys just said......
    Quote Quote  
  16. Gentlemen,

I've uncovered a few noteworthy facts that I didnt see before!!!!!! So, I instantly took the file to VideoRedo and changed it from MPEG2 to M2TS. Thinking, surely this will fix the goose! When I tried to add it back to Encore, it still wanted to transcode... I noticed that Encore is seeing the files as 864x480. I think this is my problem. 864x480 is not compliant. So, I went ahead with M2TS and switched it 720x480 and asked VRD to change the video and letter/pillar box it. It worked, added it to Encore and it said it still needed to be transcoded. So, I'm changing the audio since above it was mentioned that the one file I added had a non-compliant audio.

So, I went to MPEG2, for some reason the M2TS wouldn't work no matter what I tried. I think the only two audio options I had were both wrong.

Cornucopia and everyone, Thanks for the help. The little bits and pieces I am picking up are proving invaluable.
    Quote Quote