VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about two hours of home videos I want to burn onto a DVD. However, 40 minutes of that footage is available in two angles - one angle being footage from a handheld camera, and one angle being footage from a locked-off master shot. It all has to be squeezed onto a DVD-5, which I know will limit the bitrate but I think it will suffice (every time I burn a DVD-9 it fails during the burn, no matter what the brand, so it is what it is).

I've never burned a multi-angle DVD before , but figured this would be a good project to try it with. However, how do I calculate the bitrate for all of the footage? I generally use DVD-HQ's bitrate calculator and that works fine when it's all footage from one angle. But since multi-angle VTS's have a bitrate limit, using the bitrate calculator appears, at first, to be complicated in this case. For instance, the total amount of footage (including 40 mins of a secondary angle) is 163 mins. Putting that information (along with audio stream size, video format, etc) gives me a max bitrate of 9.3mpbs and an average of 3.45mbps to input into my MPEG encoder. But the multi-angle footage has to be encoded around around 6mpbs to avoid long pauses when the Angle button is pressed (at least according to the DVD-Lab Pro help).

So what do I do? How can I calculate the optimum settings for the normal 85 mins of footage but leave enough room for the 40 mins of multi-angle material? My thought was to encode the multi-angle material first, put the resultant size into the "other assets" section of DVD-HQ's bitrate calculator and then work out the settings for the remaining 85 mins. If so, what GOP settings should I use for the multi-angle footage?

It is a little hard to explain but hopefully someone understands what I mean.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Using multiangle, one has to drop their max bitrate to accommodate the additional burden on stream switching/reading navigation logic.

From old memory:
    1 angle = 9.8mbps
    2 = 8.3
    3, 4 or 5 = 7.6
    6-9 = 6.8

Something like that. Use to have that info in my DVDMaestro encoder manual. Wouldn't be easy to find now. Better to do a search on this forum re multiangle as I'm pretty sure I have provided that info before.
    Btw, you do know you also have to exactly match total gop structure of the 2 angles for duration of their run. Very important as some authoring apps won't compile properly if you don't follow that rule, or players will fudge playback if improperly made titles do get compiled.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Mark's DVD Bitrate Calculator will perform this calculation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Using multiangle, one has to drop their max bitrate to accommodate the additional burden on stream switching/reading navigation logic...
    Thanks, Scott. I know that, and touched upon that in my post. I was asking how to work out the combined bitrate for multi-angle VTS and single-angle VTS.

Do you mean it will handle the option of multi-angle VTS's (unlike the DVD-HQ one)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, it could handle the multi options.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you all; I shall look into that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I've installed this but do not see how to incorporate a multi-angle VTS. How do I do so?
    Quote Quote