VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

So I'm up to convert some HD X.264 encoded videos into SD Xvid/avi format. I want to get the best possible PQ result but with also reasonable bitrates and file sizes.

I know I can install and use the "simple" Xvid codec with VirtualDub to this, but I have found some clues that it's possible (somehow) to use LavFilters instead for this within (or together) in/with VirtualDub.

If so, than what's the proper method to get this two together working for this?

Thank you for the replies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure how you plan to decode H.264 in Virtualdub without Avisynth and its decoders. You can use Megui which supports AVI and Xvid, along with a Xvid HQ 2-Pass preset that you have to download via the Megui Updater.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a DirectShow input filter for VirtualDub which allows it to open files using e.g. LAV Filters. But that's only half the work as you still need a VfW based XviD encoder which LAV Filters does not provide. I do not really recommend this. "VirtualDub2" (fork made by shekh/shekhjkl) has integrated decoding for H.264. Maybe it would be easier to use it if you want to use VirtualDub. As KarMa suggested other software like MeGUI is also up to the task.
    Quote Quote  
  4. KarMa: I haven't installed Avisynth at all, and still can open and convert any x.264 MKV files with VirtualDub. ???

sneaker: Can you give a proper and updated link to that DirectShow input filter, and to what to do whit it properly? And I have the "official" Xvid codec already installed and available in VirtualDub, what other kind Xvid Coded would I need exactly?

I have tried also VirtualDub2 (64bit version), but it still uses the "base" Xvid codec and fails to convert AAC audio to AC3 or mp3 format completely. For AC3 it gives me an error message, that it's somehow not compatible with the original format and converting to mp3 result with no sound at all in the output video file. All of these working fine in the original version of VirtualDub for me.

I can see some kind of "2-Pass" option also in the VirtualDub conversion settings, is it adviced to use it for -visibly- better quality? (Tho I don't know if it's the same option that KarMA has written about).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Xvid that can work in Virtualdub is the same Xvid that can work in Megui, so both those 2-Pass options should do the same thing. 2-Pass is a method of more efficiently distributing bitrate through out the video, so that less complex content gets less bitrate while more complex scenes get more. 1-Pass modes try to do the same thing but they are only able to look a couple dozen frames ahead and so can't be as efficient as 2-Pass which can see the complexity distribution of the entire video. 2-Pass also takes longer, maybe 30-70% more time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Use Virtualdub2, it can open h.264 no problem.
    Quote Quote