VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I am working on converting my Star Wars BluRays. The movies are cut in multiple m2ts. In episode I for instance, there is one m2ts for each localized version of the famous intro text rollover (2:00.244 each) and one m2ts for the rest of the movie, common to every language. I would like to keep the original english version, and the french version. What would be the best way to tackle this?

I've been told that it was possible to use two different sets of chapters/editions in the MKV. I've tried the following: Concatenate english intro, french intro, and main movie. Then create one edition with two chapters: ch 1 starting at 0.000, ch 2 starting at 4:00.488 for the english version; and a second edition with two chapters: ch 1 starting at 2:00.244, ch 2 starting at 4:00.488 for the french version. Both editions are set as "Ordered". However, and contrary to what I've read, no media player has been able to correctly play the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. MPC-HC (with LAV Splitter) can handle such files. If it does not work with MPC-HC+LAV you did not create the file correctly.

http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    MPC-HC (with LAV Splitter) can handle such files. If it does not work with MPC-HC+LAV you did not create the file correctly.

http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8
    You were right, I had misunderstood the way ordered chapters work. Now the file is correctly formed, but are you sure MPC handles that correctly? The video correctly skips the unecessary chapters but unlike VLC I do not see any way to switch to a non-default edition.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Play->Filters->LAV Splitter (Source)->[select the edition at the bottom]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    FYI-
    This may work for your purposes (and if so, you can ignore the rest), but understand that this is NOT how it works in an actual multi-angle DVD. The DVD angles are interleaved on a GOP-by-GOP basis and "skip" over unnecessary gops when picking the proper angle. This is whether doing different perspective, or doing custom playlist, or doing parental/language options. As it is gop-by-gop, a change of angle can be switched over live/near-instantaneouosly at the next gop change. Doubt that is the experience with custom chapters in MKV.
    Just don't want you to get the wrong assumptions and then be disappointed if it doesn't follow your expectations.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you sneaker, that's not very intuitive to say the least
    And thank you Cornucopia for the clarification!
    Quote Quote